Scrappy Races

Has anybody been watching the scrappy races on Channel 4?

One of the teams had some Rolls Royce 16 cyl diesel engine and they broke it playing with the governer, looks like they went a bit fast for the valve gear and stuff got smashed. What a bunch of farmers.

-- James

Reply to
James

Watched that last night. The farmers crack me up, especially when the boy was fiddling around inside the injector pump and his mate says to him "are you sure?" and he says something like "oh yeah, proper job", then after they produced all the smoke, scared the shit out of everyone on site and bent large parts of the valvetrain "well this nut just came off in me hand, pullin the fuel lines made no difference cos it was burning the oil out the sump by that point".

The whole program was really good entertainment IMHO. It's not about the competition, more just a fun story with none of the tedious attention to detail that the mars the likes of salvage squad and the slightly irritating Americanisation of scrapheap challenge/junkyard wars.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The judge had a handle on the situation when he pointed out that it's a complex peace of equipment and he isn't a complex peace of equipment type person. Then also said that it would be illegal to run with 2 working engines on the road, Dose the Tiger Z100 WR have to take one engine out? Or is it just that it was SVA'd with only the one?

Reply to
Depresion

yeah, I noticed that illegal to have two engines on the road bit and thought "Hmm, I think thats complete bollocks", I mean all theway back to the 2CV Sahara, small number of twin engined cars have been built, whether they are LTD edition Audi TTs, Home brew R5GTTs and VW Golfs, or twin bike engined cars.

All road legal and road driven (even if justa short distance to be classed as road cars).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

There was also the road-legal Mercedes A190 twin engine car and the perfectly road legal Tiger Z100WR (0-60 in 2.8s!).

Reply to
Steve Firth

I somehow think they will fix it. Even if its reduced to 13 cylinders!!

Obviously the internal parts couldn't haul to the maximum possible burn rate of the diesel fuel. (Is it still about 5000rpm maximum??)

Prapur jarb that .... oil be mowstly rannin on moi sump oil to-day!!

-- (Scum Mail Bouncer In use). (Remove the two "n" from email address to reply directly).

Regards..... Steve.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

There is no inherent limit on how fast you can run a diesel engine. Usually diesels have longer strokes than an equally sized petrol, that reduces maximum speed. To run really fast, you need very high injection pressures, big injectors and very fine control over the whole lot.

Diesel injection technology limits maximum speed more than anything else (and is also the reason why diesels don't have lots of power high in the rev range).

-- James

Reply to
James

Diesel is relatively slow burning - the maximum piston velocity is limited by the speed of the flame front, which in turn limits the rev rate. If you had an engine with a large bore and short stroke, you could theoretically have a high revving diesel, but there's little point. Ford did make a diesel test engine which would rev to 6000rpm.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

You don't get a flame front in a diesel engine, the diesel burns in the spray pattern straight out of the injector. Depending on the quality of your injection (i.e. spray pattern etc) you may not get instant ignition which is why a diesel sounds like a diesel.

-- James

Reply to
James