Soarers

Glacier I'm looking at a Toyota Soarer anyone own/owned one who can let me

-- know what to expect?

Reply to
mark

Expect it to be called a Lexus Soarer in this country i beleive.

Reply to
Dan405

I'd expect it to be rebadged a Lexus using gold badges by the grey importer, as the Soarer was never officially brought into the UK.

Personally, I'd avoid, as parts supply could be a bit of an issue.

Reply to
SteveH

You can find both the Lexus and the Toyota Soarer in this country. Both are grey imports, and both are equally shit. There's also a LHD version with a model number rather than a Soarer badge, which was IIRC produced for the USA.

They are in the "you'd have to be a desperate moron" territory for car buying. Much of the electronics pack won't work in Europe, the styling sucks and it the car scream "medallion Council house man" at any onlooker. With gold badges they scream "tasteless poverty stricken medallion Council house man."

Reply to
Steve Firth

But then, with a 2.5 Twin Turbo, they go like the proverbial from a shiny shovel :)

Reply to
Dan405

Were they sold by lexus in this country? I got a lift in one once, the telly thing in the dash had a lot of japanese writing in. Bloody fast, bloody quiet and auto, dunno what engine it had though.

Someone else I know who bought a jazzy IS200 import ("Toyota Altezza Beam Jap Flying 17 Dragon Power Edition" I believe it was called). Anyway, it wasnt called a Lexus because it was an import but someone had taken the toyota badges off and stuck Lexus ones on. On a side note, a couple of days after he bought it he took it to the lexus dealer and asked them how to turn the Traction Control off, or indeed if he could wire in a switch somewhere as he hadn't managed to lose the back end yet. They told him it didnt have TC (and I dont know to this day who was right, but he had been driving a rover 800 up till this point). It was around then that we pointed out that Alan Partridge drove a lexus. But I digress.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Nothing wrong with the Soarer, its a like a coupé gs300, very comfy electric everything, engine good for millions of miles, black popular colour, quiet, smoooooth as f*ck, everything you expect form a lexus.

Its not a Golf GTI or a gt turbo, its a motorway cruiser, and will sit at

100 longer than any car on the road.

Thirsty but Quality.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

In article , snipped-for-privacy@cheerful.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

And a Rover 800 before that.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Try

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Yep - the level of shit for both versions, is approximately zero.

?

Er, all of it will work. The only thing you may have to change is the Japanese head-unit, if fitted.

mark, I hope that convinces you that Steve doesn't have a clue :)

Reply to
Nom

Looks fine to me.

Reply to
Nom

Yeah, nice petrol station.

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's rank. There's a white one around here, it just looks so 1980's pimp-mobile. I half expect to see it with a furry steering wheel cover and leopard skin seat covers.

Looks better in that darker colour from your next post tho.

Reply to
Lordy

Rubbish - I think they look fine :)

ALL cars look rank in white though, so perhaps that's the problem !

There, you see :)

Reply to
Nom

"SteveH" wrote

Lot of Supra in there though

Reply to
Fishman19

I beg to differ. Volvo 480s and Cadillac CDVs or Eldorados (70s-80s models) look sweet in white.

Admittedly, the Caddy is pimp-tastic, but then, any Caddy is a pimpmobile by default. Unless it's a Cimarron.

Richard (the Cimarron is a J-body, FWD Caddy from the early 80s. It is to all intents and purposes a Vauxhall Cavalier FWD with a silly grille. Who says the Americans didn't pay attention to the British car market? It's like a GM version of an Allegro Vanden Plas).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick