Soft Touch Dashboards

After the massive fuss made about cheap plastics, both by SteveH and the presenters of top gear, I was massively disappointed to find out that "soft touch" is the rubber paint that flakes off the interior trim of modern VWs. I had imagined that perhaps the dashboard was covered entirely in the stuff gel wrist rests are made of and clad in a sumptuous fabric which still maintained the appearance of black fabric, and that one could comforabtly go to sleep on a VW dashboard if you were suitably small of stature or in a Phaeton.

Reply to
Doki

The stuff in a Phaeton is hopefully better than the stuff in a Passat mind you...

Reply to
Iridium

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Iridium wittered on forthwith;

It's awesome.

Ideal for impressing the neighbours, apparantly.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f3t758$2ak$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Not to mention a fantastic pickup line: "Would you like to touch my dash? It's soft."

Reply to
Depresion

Just buy a Pentel pen with soft touch sleeve.

Hired a Punto, the hard plastic gave a very poor impression after the feel of padded door cards on my car. They only padded the door card, made the rest hard but the door is the bit I touch so it gives the impression the whole lot is like it. Rear seat passengers must have a very different impression.

If you want to go to sleep in a car get one with front seats that recline nearly flat. Or a hatchback with a decent length of load bed - VW Golf and all it's derivatives are all about 6-8in too short.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Pedant alert.

I think you may be confusing your soft touch coated peely type rubbish VW interior surfaces and your slush moulded dashboards.

Kidding and joking asides, slush moulding does create surfaces that creak less and contributes to the car feeling marginally less like a bag of spanners.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Is the right answer.

The rubbery stuff is a bit odd - can't say I have noticed a problem with it peeling - neither in my B5 which was on 160k or so miles or my B6 which is now on nearly 51k miles.

However, the slush moulded dash and plastic bits that VAG use feel a hell of a lot better than the moulded Jacob's cracker box plastic Ford, amongst others, use. (Even the 156 is largely slush moulded inside)

Reply to
SteveH

Skoda Estelle/Rapid designed to turn into a double bed.

You need a Saab C900 you do. Drop the back seats and anyone could camp=20 in it.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder