Most automobiles are made of CHEAP materials !!!!!

The automobile companies are a bunch of gangsters who want that the automobiles die after a few years.

Oldtimers are much more reliable than all the modern rubbish which is made of cheap plastics !

Reply to
Bruno Beam

You must be Rip-Van-Winkle and just woke up. Autos have been made with plastics for decades. As for longevity, I haven't seen any real issue with recent vehicles. I drove 1960's autos as far as 167,000 miles and I have driven late 80's vehicles nearly as far. The era of US manufacturers that seemed to have the most problems with breakdowns is the era between the mid '70's and the early '80's. Vehicles seem to be very reliable today (based on 30+ years of driving 4-decades worth of vehicles).

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I agree, up to a point. Modern vehicles are quite reliable, but compared to cars built up through ~1973 they are not long lived.

In 50-75 years, there will still be driveable Packards from the 40s, Duesenbergs from the 30s, Model T's from the 20s, Cadillacs and Chrysler

300s from the 50s, and Roadrunners, Barracudas, Torinos, Mustangs, and GTOs from the 60s left in the world. There may be no fuel for them, but they'll still run on some substitute, at least for car shows.

There aren't gonna be any Civics, Mazda 6s, Camrys, Siennas, Odysseys Intrepids, Magnums, Malibus, Ford 500s, or PT Cruisers. And precious few Trans Ams or Camaros made after 1980, C6 Corvettes, and Vipers.

Reply to
Steve

I guess we won't know for sure for another 30-40 years. Personally I think that a car enthenuast can keep just about anything in good working order, if they have the passion to do so. So, my gut feeling is that there will be some of today's cars still running 40 years from now.

Now, if they ever open up Cuba, we will have a flood of 50's vintage cars available

Reply to
James C. Reeves

"James C. Reeves" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com floridly penned in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sure there will. And just like any other era, it will be the desirable cars, regardless of affinity to rust, that will be saved.

My problem is modern plastic interiors. How do you restore those?

Yeah, most of them badly battered and with Russian UAZ diesel engines and drivetrains. How easy is it to find new valves for a 1955 Packard engine in Cuba?

Reply to
TeGGer®