speeding

Mate just got done for doing 35 in a 30 by a camera van, (tripod based video/laser device) problem - he already facing a potential 6-9 points and we all know what this means....

Car he was driving was his mothers - can they prove who was the driver at the time? Not that I'm suggesting anything....

Reply to
john

They will write to the mother (if she is the registered keeper). She has to say who was driving, or face a larger fine for not disclosing. Unless she genuinley is an alsheimers case and can't remember who she is, never mind who was driving.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar
  1. Igore the nip and dont sign for any recorded post for the next month as they'll send you another by recorded just before the 14 days is up

  1. Fill in and photocopy the nip at a copyshop and get a receipt for the copy

  2. Go to the post office and send an empty envelope to the speed camera address and get a proof of postage certificate

  1. Destroy and forget about the original nip just keep all the "evidence" of filling it in and posting it

Result: Chances are you'll hear nothing ever again and if you do you have all the "evidence" you need for the nip process to start again

BTW this has worked at least 3 times in the past for various people. It's over 2 years since the last one and still nothing (the driver has been pulled over since and the checks still brought up nothing)

PS I don't condone dodgy behaviour. If you have 6-9 points then be bloody careful and drive like your undertaker's grandmother's local nun.

Reply to
fishman

Yeah - that's why they take photos too.

Reply to
Conor

35 in a 30 is a bit harsh, they give you 10% anyway as speedos are always wrong, so that's 33 mph, you could always go to court and claim you were doing 30mph speedo indicated. I can't see how they will do you for 35 as it's so close to the percentage, normally its at a min 36 that's why gatso's are mostly set at 40+ in a 30.

If I was you, I would be nice to my mum and buy her some flowers etc, and let her take the rap :)

My brother got away with a speeding ticket as he was in Austrailia when the NIP came through, my mum sent the NIP back saying my bro was driving her car but he is in Aus travelling for 1 year and they sent a letter back saying they are dropping it. He was in Aus at the time though so there was no lies.

Reply to
Ronny

NIP will be sent to Registered Keeper who will be asked who was driving at the time of the alleged offence. She is obliged to reply by the evil S172 but if several people have access to the car she might not be sure and should make the court aware of her doubt.

Alistair J Murray

How can it be illegal to underread when it's not even a requirement to have a speedo?

Reply to
Ronny

Yes. It means your mate is stupid.

To be nicked doing 35 in a 30 limit is arguably unlucky, except in many cars the speedometer needle will be nudging 40 for this kind of genuine speed and anybody should know better than to hustle along at this speed in a 30 limit. More so if he or she already has plenty of points on their licence.

Yes.

Don't in public. Usenet is public.

Reply to
DervMan

Well he's not too bright to be speeding again like that. But 35 is right on the limit. I'd push my luck and say sommat like "my speedo was reading 30 as I recall" or similar defence, a lawyer can do the SP on that one if you get one before the court case. Might also be able to subsume the offence into a "taken into account" with the serious one.

Even just filling in the form and rejecting the statutory fine might be enough

- I doubt the actual courts would be interested so in some senses the police are pushing their luck and hoping you admit guilt rather than go to court.

"They" rather than "you".

Video would include a frontal image of the car, yes? Seems likely that the speed was 35 and he was driving, trying to disprove that by asserting they have weak evidence is probably not going to work.

It's even possible that if his mum admits guilt - depending on how - they can have her for false declarations and him for the speeding, etc. This being because the police will look at the photo and know - probably without any doubt

- that she wasn't driving. Playing silly beggars can work out worse.

Reply to
Questions

Vehicle construction and use regulations.

"a vehicle speedometer accuracy must be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception."

Rubbish. A roadgoing vehicle used on a public highway *must* be fitted with a functioning speedometer.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Agreed.

No they do not.

Strangely enough, if you get caught in a mobile speed trap they tend to use handheld measuring devices which - believe it or not - do not actually obtain their speed reading by looking at the speedometer inside the car (seriously !).

So your over-reading theory works *against* him, not for him. If he was caught at 35, then in all likelihood his speedo was reading nearer to

Cool, wonder if they check up somehow. That idea is just so crazy it might actually work :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Hi

As far as I'm concerned, he's stuffed. If he was doing 35 his speedo was probably indicating 38 so it's a fair cop (if you'll pardon the pun). If his mum agrees to take the rap, fair enough, but he's obviously not taking the points seriously or he would have been a bit more careful! :-)

All these ideas about claiming the speedo reading is out is, IMHO, a waste of time. Think about it:

  1. We know the speedo is generally a couple of miles an hour off
  2. The car manufacturers know this
  3. Everybody likes to blame somebody else for their mistakes nowadays

If I was a car manufacturer, I'd not leave myself open to law suits

This is, presumably, why most cars read 2 to 3 miles under the actual speed limit. I've noticed that my Talex speed indicator (which is GPS based and therefore *should* be very accurate) shows exactly 3 miles over the speedo. The same is true of my boss's 911 with the same Talex device. The same goes for every car in our car park running a Talex. It's also true that TomTom shows the same difference in 3 of the cars mentioned above, so it's unlikely to be a coincidence. If you're speedo reads 35 your more than likely to be doing 38 and this is likely to be the case in the majority of cars on the road. Best plan might be for him to plead guilty. He may get a short ban for totting up, but at least his licence would be clean at the end of it!

What are the potential 6-9 points for by the way? Something serious. If so it's unlikely he'll get away without a ban...

Cheers

selwonk

Reply to
RenaultForums team

Uhm

I think I got my maths muddled. If you are doing 35, your speedo probably reads 38. That makes more sense! ;-)

selwonk

Reply to
RenaultForums team

These apply to vehicle manufacturers, though, rather than drivers, don't they?

Reply to
Questions

Indeed, it varies from one make to another but mostly a speedo will read between 0 and 20% over your actual speed. Newer cars will be consistent, e.g.

+xyz mph or +abc% over whatever speed the vehicle speed sensor tells the computer.
Reply to
Questions

Rubbish

If it was it would be checked on an MOT, which it is not.

Maybe has to have one fitted but it doesn't have to work.

FAULTY SPEEDO The speedo on my 1994 Alfa 33 16 v 1.7 Sportwagon fails intermittently. Is a faulty speedometer an automatic MOT failure - Mike Lock The speedo is not checked for the MOT. -MOTT

Ronny

There is no official line on it, but they allow you 10% for speedo inacuracy it's a fact, "by they I mean police/speed cam operatives)

Or at least they did when I was in the Police.

Reply to
Ronny

A working but not accuraccy tested speedometer IS required to pass an mot. Nobody ever actually checks is though...

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

Heh, mine did that, too.

Quick slap on the side of the dash kicked it into action, though.

Reply to
SteveH

MOTORCYCLE SPEEDO Does my motorcycle require a speedometer for an MOT? If not what milage would the Tester put down on the VT20 or VT12? Phil You will be pleased to hear that the speedometer is not checked in the MOT. The Tester would simply note that the motorcycle has no speedometer. -MOTTSo the guy is wrong on that website then?

Reply to
Ronny