Spyware software.

Any recommendations for a good free prog? ATM I have 'Spybot search and destroy', but I have an idea that even with the latest updates it's still missing some. TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ooh, ooh, I know! Buy a mac!

(c;

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Is the right answer.

Reply to
SteveH

Failing that, I've had some success with Adaware, HijackThis and others. It's been a while though. Microsoft used to have quite a nifty anti spyware thing for XP, but it irritated the shit out of me and it was only a beta last time I used it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

A Linux OS on my PC would do just as well, and be cheaper, but so far I've had few problems with XP, but recently I've started to get as many as 2 full advert pages appearing behind open web pages. Only visible when the open page is closed.. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If it's just the ads that are annoying you, you could download NoAds, it's free and has an update button that downloads a set of filters/known bad ads and you just add new ones as they appear on your screen. Very simple to use. Here's the url:

Redman

Reply to
Redman

Spybot and Adaware combined. But then, I never seem to get any Spyware anyway so...

Reply to
Iridium

Download Spyware Doctor from one of the Binary newsgroups for f*ck all, it's very good.

Once you get the hang of downloading stuff from Usenet you'll wonder why you EVER paid for Software..........

Reply to
Me

I rarely do pay for software, *but*... once you get the hang of downloading stuff from Usenet (or Limewire or whatever) you find out

*why* people think viruses and spyware are such a right royal pain. The hard way.

I regularly have PCs infected with thousands of viruses on my local network (to fix - the record so far is something over 200,000 'hits').

My 'normal' PC never gets infected with anything.

I use Spybot S+D and AdAware occasionally, along with AVG Free for the antivirus. I also have JavaCool 'Spyware Blaster' installed which fills most of the holes that spyware uses with inert code so the syware can't get in.

Make sure you download it from the official sites - there are many typosquatters and fake sites offering things with similar (or exactly the same) names which don't do anything you'd want. Especially avoid any 'free scans' as they universally find many problems which they can then fix once you pay. Curiously those same problems don't show up with any of the free scanners..

Reply to
PC Paul