Strange cooling problem

Also posted in the Alfa group and in maintenance, but thought I'd try here, too.

After a track session at an airfield day on Monday, I was shocked to find that my 75 had dumped a load of coolant on the floor under the car.

A quick check showed that the radiator fan switch had failed, so I topped up the coolant, bridged the switch connectors so it ran continuously on the ignition and largely ignored it for the rest of the day (although I did get into the habit of cutting the engine and letting the fan run for a while before killing the ignition from then onwards)

However, later in the day, I pulled into the Severn View services to grab a coffee and came back out to find it had done it again. When I parked up this time, I didn't give the car a couple of minutes to cool with the fan on.

The temp. gauge is reading normally - never climbed above 85-ish degrees. I know the guage is working, 'cos I've seen it climb as far as

110 degrees in traffic.

The water is coming out under pressure from one of the hose connectors on the expansion tank.

Any ideas? - I suspect the expansion tank cap may be allowing pressure to build in the system rather than letting it bleed away. Is this a possibility?

Digging around, the head gasket is unlikely to be the problem, but it's not completely unknown, just incredibly rare. However, it's supposedly an easy job - only a couple of hours to do, so it isn't the end of the world if it is the HG.

Reply to
SteveH

In news:1hyjeei.u8m0w31wov74iN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH wittered on forthwith;

We had similar problems with the ol' Alfa Sunbeam years ago, that had the non-TS version of your motor in and when the HG popped it confuddled us for a while.

Reply to
Pete M

No: The expansion tank as the name suggest is there in order to accept the expansion of the water (hot water being less dense than cold water).

The pressure buildup must come from something: either is a head gasket failure but then almost certainly there will be oil in your coolant (milkchoclate color).

The other possibility of pressure is that the coolant is cooking. Most likely is than a failed thermostaic valve (easy and cheap), a failed waterpump of a partially blocked radiator

If your temperature reading stayed normal, than the valve is prime suspect: iirc the sensor is behind the valve.

Oil in the coolant will be the telltale sign.

Head gasket change is however not that easy as the TS-engine has a timing chain and not a belt.

If the head gasket is the cause, say to your mecanics that along with the new headgasket comes a small O-ring (about 5mm in diameter). That O- ring is for the oil-conduct and it is cruxial that it is installed.

Fingers crossed that it's the thermostatic valve!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor