Stupid idea no.453. Leaf-blower supercharger.

Plumb it into your air-box, set up some pulleys so the starter handle sticks out of the dash and bobsyerunkle. Cheap boost!

What do you reckon?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Been watching Mythbusters then?

Reply to
pi(obfuscated)

Alas, my telly isn't up to it. If it ain't on Freeview, I don't watch it.

So someone's tried it then?

Did it make a noticible difference?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Mmmm If it was a BIG powerful (not just a couple of hp) leaf blower it might work on a small engine??? You know like those highly tuned competition chain saw engines, or something.

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

This sort of thing?

Homer

Yep thats the sort of thing!

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

So it'd probably be best to use the leaf-blower engine to drive the wheels, and the original car engine for the supercharger then...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Or bettr still you could just drive it off the engine! Oh.. thats been done...

Reply to
Burgerman

continuing with the stupid ideas bit, how about a gixer engine connected to a custom gear box driving an intake turbine? theory says it would work...

Reply to
Theo

What a silly idea. The leaves would clog up the air filter in no time.

Reply to
Mark W

heh

Reply to
Theo

5hp blower 20bhp gain.

Works even better with a dose of Naawwwssssss, dry from a bottle.

Peter Hill

Been doing much better than that on my own dynos and with my own dyno systems for years! But they are adding it without extra fuel! And will sooner or later melt something...

Reply to
Burgerman

AFAIK the EMS will measure the extra airflow and pulse in a little longer. And a carb will do the same thing in an analogue fashion, no?

Reply to
Questions

For leaf-blowers maybe, but for nitrous it's a lot more complicated. Presumably they're hoping that , because they're adding it before the AFM, the AFM will "see" the extra oxygen, but nitrous may well not have the same effect on the AFM as air does.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Superb! I'm off down Homebase... No, wait! I already have a turbo!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

No, because the nitrous has twice as much oxygen...

Reply to
Burgerman

Ah, that's what "Naawwwssssss" means. Well the first glance says the nitrous has 40% oxygen compared to 20% in regular air. Depending on the percentages of each source of gas, there will be something between the two, the MAF will be measuring mass and therefore understating the oxygen levels.

Why does the EMS not adjust the short term trims when it senses too much oxygen in the exhaust? Seems to me it ought to be able to...

Reply to
Questions

For one, at WOT the map is fixed and not using any feedback loop, and for two, the correct mixture on nitrous is actually over rich for cooling, burn speed, and peak cylinder pressure reasons to prevent pressure damaging stock head gaskets / rings etc and to prevent detonation.

Reply to
Burgerman

Ah, fair enough. It would need some sort of fixing of sensor readings to get the desired effect, then. Or just add extra fuel with the nitrous.

Reply to
Questions