stupid question on ABS

Hi, I don't really know much about car, and currently try to learn everything I can from books and web sites. At the moment, I own a Peugeot 106, 1.4, and wonder if it can have ABS add on. I know there are many people doing car modification, but it does not seems that they cover this. Is that possible to do in a Peugeot 106 or any car? How much would it cost including labour, in general?

Please let me know anything may relevant to it.

Regards

Reply to
Tom Hong

In news:d2ngve$3u8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.freedomsurf.net, Tom Hong decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It's too much work to be worth it.

Need to, or probably need to change some/all/most of the following

Wiring loom Hubs ECU driveshafts Servo Master cylinder pipework

Very often there's more than that.

Reply to
Pete M

It will be a LOT cheaper to trade your car on something that has ABS. Plus the added danger of setting up a highly technical electronic system that has a lot to do with the things that make your car stop.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Hello,

It IS possible but would require a lot of work as the whole brake system would need parts changing. The other problem is that if you did add ABS it would be classed as a modification and not covered by insurance companies! I know that sounds stupid but the same as cars with add-on styling products straight from the factory, they are certainly not covered on things like a Corsa. The so-called sports exhaust trim is a "modification" although it was on the car when delivered. It's insurance companies screwing people for money or to get out of paying up for claims. I have had cars with and without ABS and it was of NO advantage unless driving like a lunatic or braking heavily going into a wet corner for example. Drive in a sensible manner according to road conditions and you will find no need for it. One car had traction control permanently on, so it wouldn't go up a steep hill that had bits of ice and salt. ABS is also crap in snow, without it you can lock the wheels and cause a wedge of snow under the tyres that will help you to stop. There are many fors and againsts, it depends on where you drive and how.

For prices, have a nose around some web sites, you will need discs (might aswell have new ones) pads, pipes, ABS electronics and light behind dashboard, ABS pump and block, brake fluid, then about 2 days to strip all the old stuff and fit the new parts - minimum. A main dealer would probably want between £1500 and £2000 if not more. You will find many main dealers don't actually understand cars now, they can only change parts for existing ones. Standards have certainly slipped as there are not many real mechanics about. My local ford dealer insisted the thermostat was faulty when it was the heater matrix blocked. They also took the car apart to replace an oil seal and forgot to put the new one on.

Reply to
Brian

FUCK THE FUCK OFF !

STOP POSTING YOUR SHITE, DAMNIT !

Reply to
Nom

Don't beat about the bush, Nom, say what you're *really* thinking :)

Reply to
Questions

Have I missed sometrhing? What was that for?

Reply to
Ed

Have a read of his previous posts. Note : He's changed his poster name at least once !

He is infact the ULTIMATE TROLL !

Reply to
Nom

in news:aJm4e.1942$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net, Ed slurred :