Subaru. How reliable really?

Question is, where is RichardK?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Wouldn't if I could find a 4x4 t saloon. I know they did the estate. But I really don't want anything that big.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That was what my GT4 felt like. It was a little quicker than the Saab, but not 30BHP quicker thand to the 4wd. I would have kept modding that if it hadn't had an oil habit.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Want or need?

Want or need?

You missed out one rather large lump of expenditure.

You've trimmed stuff down as far as you want. But if it came to need, there's definitely more to go. The key is to be honest with yourself about what is necessary, and what you merely want. Doesn't stop you spending on stuff you want - in fact I reckon it's healthier to think that way, because it means you know you're treating yourself, rather than being forced into things against your will.

Back to where we started (in this sub-thread) - you haven't been forced to have no savings, you've chosen not to. Pretending otherwise is just denial.

I may be being dreadfully dull here, but I'm not actually being prescriptive about your lifestyle - you'll notice I haven't said 'don't spend money on that'.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

270k miles in 5 yrs is 150 miles/day, or 160 miles/working day if not used at weekends. 30 quid at £4/gallon is 7.33 gallons, 300 miles on that is 41mpg. From a subaru?

The reality of subaru impreza turbo ownership is more like this : huge insurance, brakes every service, gearbox every other, tyres in between services, regular penalty points...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Nope. Not out of turn at all. And I've never had a single loan for anything big. It was being caught by the convenience of credit cards when something=20 needed doing in the house (boiler packed up/cooker stopped=20 working/washing machine failed/freezer gave up), or some DIY was needed.

When the cheap rates are tempting it is easy to stick it on the card. Of=20 course, what happens is, they claim to have recieved the payment a day=20 late and so they don't have to honour the special rate anymore.

As it happens. I have one card with some balance in it. I personally have =A365000 worth of credit limits over the various cards.= =20 About 4 times what I earn. plus I have the mortgage. It's scary that=20 while I worry about how much I owe, I could easily owe about 10 times=20 that before anyone would ask any questions.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

60 litres in a modern WRX. I get 450km to a tank thrashing it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Huge Insurance=Yes Brakes every service = Bullshit Gearbox every other = Not if you put an STI in the first time you blow it up. Which you won't on factory boost Tyres in between services = Bullshit Regular penalty points= Depends on how you drive. Not really the cars fault.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

No, I appreciate that. But the thing is, I don't think I have a lifestyle. I don't have the time or money for a lifestyle. As it is, I went with broadband because it was cheaper than per minute=20 dialup, and now with my current provider I get all geographic landline +=20

0845 and 0870 calls bundled in with the phone which is bundled into the=20 internet package. I've saved about =A330 a month that way. Add to the fact= =20 that I provide my own web and mail server space because I'm on broadband=20 speed connection instead of having to pay someone else to do that. Again=20 that is more money saved.

My ougoings each month pretty much are gas electric mortgage life insurance critical illness cover Sky Council tax TV license credit card mobile phone bill phone/broadband that takes care of all my wages and an additional =A3100 each month.

My Petrol and tax/insurance are paid for seperatley, as the missus pays=20 for food, and holidays, pocket money for both of us (petrol, work=20 lunches, clothes spends) and now she is earning more and travelling=20 less, the replacement of any appliances that break or wear out, rather=20 than use the credit card.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Aye.

Nope: much faster.

Ah but it won't be on factory boost long. My Cossie was 1000 km on factory boost... And from then on it was always on the up: big intercooler, bigger turbo, better suspension, better brakes, low compression pistons, ECU, big injectors, etc etc.

Gearbox failed. Put in a reconditioned... failed also. Then bought a rallye box, dropping topspeed to 210 kph. Noisy as hell but reliable.

Money drain first class. The more powerfull the car became, the more it began to break down. Pretty logical in fact.

Nope: faster. The original one stayed on for 8000 km, then were changed to a softer compound which glued the car to the soil but carcass came through after

2500 km... then went for 16 inch wheels and tires which lasted a bit longer.

Indeed: the copper's fault. Why the bugger had he to stand there for? Why could he go and chase some thieves?

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

->> ->>

->> ->Heh, you can get £40 in the 206 :-) Granted, he doesn't say when it

->> would

->> ->only take £30...

->>

->> When queuing at the pumps because of the blockades................

->>

->

->Bet that was annoying...

Very, I dare not let it get below 1/2 a tank as I would get stuck so I had to fill every day

Reply to
Geoff

You must of had a dog. Mine was fine on brakes. In the 2 years I owned it I didn't change the brake pads once or the tyres. And I was running 18 pounds of boost.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Ah, nice much more like it. Any idea from what year it changed.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Now try comparing it to something properly cheap. 205D?

Bummer. 5 times what my car cost, and I like mine :-)

It'll be the same for any car. I actually rather enjoy my tatty old BX. It's more about the person than the car IMO.

Of course the work environment with the bosses driving those flash cars about won't help. And they get the money to run them from shafting you :-( Still, getting something really tatty, to properly lower the tone in the car park could make the point that they're not paying you enough :-) Park next to them too - spoil their view. Disconnect a couple of glow plugs to fill the car park with smoke when it starts - they'll love it!

I thought soft top prices were always higher when it's actually summer - remember, you don't want them to get a bargain.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

For inspiration I have an Merc S500 An M3 an S2000 several C Class mercs, and M Class, two Porsche 911's a Boxster and several 4x4's (including a Cayenne) that cost more than my house. I realy loved my old Estelle but the rust was geting to it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

You don't work for my company do you? ours is on the verge of bankruptcy, they have announced that 1/2 of the workforce will be gone in the next 5 years and you should see the cars that are in the car park....

My 1989 rusty metro looks good next to them all (honest)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

For inspiration I can look outside and see, erm hills and sheep :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I must be getting old now but I got some quotes recently for a WRX STI and they were only around £520. A Mitsubishi Evo 4 is nearer £900 :-(

Reply to
Homer

Not sure, something seems to be going on with my insurance, granted I haven't tried an STI but a WRX came it at £450 and my Legacy GT comes in at £480... I'm 26, 6 years no claims, living in the Stoke area....

Reply to
Tim Anderson

I've always maintained that an AX 1.5D is something everyone should own at least once. For lots of reasons!

Aye - one thing I'm going to do when I eventually get a foot on the property ladder is get something with a fixed rate for as long as is available on the market at the time, and when that rate expires (or comes vaguely close to), look to moving the mortgage to another provider who can offer a similarly good fixed rate for a few more years. Is this a realistic proposition?

Reply to
AstraVanMan