Subaru. How reliable really?

Plenty of scope for VOIP people. It's all the rage down here. Come for a holiday first and see if you like it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

He was. Which was a bit wierd. I live in the suburbs. I find it hard to drive 200 metres without going around a corner.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I can't drive 20 metres without going round a corner :) I can't think of many 200m straights around here at all actually!

Reply to
DanTXD

Do you live on a roundabout? ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Cheapest I've seen is £1,600. So yeah. I keep thinking I would part with the Sera (probably get £2,800 for it, which wouldn't be bad) and get the best MX5 £2,500 would get me - earlier style rather than later, condition instead of mileage, blah blah. Would quite enjoy doing the shopping around, especially borrowing the gfs 2CV to look at one car, taking the RX8 to look at others - see how people dealt with me ;)

Ah, you need an RX8 then :D

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

There are several ways to go around a corner: there is the normal one, there is the fast one and there is the way aound it when you enter way too fast.

I may (or still am) be barking mad but doing the really high speed cornering in a suburb is not my thing: first there is the obvious danger to kids and pets, secondely the second corner that you take will positively attract such interest of the locals that they get their hunting rifle and fire at you.

High power 4x4 realy like the last stated way and it is quite a buzz. Heavy on tires because first the car looses the end and just before mid-corner all power shifts to the front to pull the car through.

Needs to be practised on vast parkinglots (with cones or similar), at first on wet surfaces to lower the speed , should be outlawed on normal roads. Oeps: it is :)

That way of cornering is why Subaru's, Evo and the older Cosworth's,Integrales are such dangereous cars: first to themselves because when the corner is entered, the car is set up. Changing minds mid-corner (either lifting or braking) ends in a spin but at speed it means that the trip goes off road and rather fast.

Secondly to somebody who is following the 4x4 at similar speed with an RWD or FWD. FWD goes straight through, RWD needs very precise action. Porsche are notorious triggerhappy in these conditions: triggerhappy as in holding a gun to your head.

Done my part of stupid things and roadracing for kicks, girls or money (all combined actual) was one of them. In my AR 75 it was not that dangerous mostly because the power was low and the car had raceparts as tires and stuff which made that grip was omni-present.

Once the Cosworth's and Subaru's (Integrales always broke) entered the scene, power instantey doubled, some bad crashes followed. My experience with a Porsche crashing out in my rear mirror was enough to waken the last little bit of responsability I had, I was happy that the bloke didn't kill himself and I stopped doing those stupidies shortly after.

Roadracing is racing be it not too legal. There were two kinds in my days: the rich kids who came with daddy's Porsche or Ferrari opposed to a few vultures who came for the kicks and for taking their money away.

The vultures- male and female- drove semi-normal cars, not quite pristine but with the right bits and in order. The vultures only raced each other "by accident", which rarely happened: we spotted the bits on the cars or the little handlings (I would positively refuse to race somebody who torqued his wheels before he went ;-))

You earned some cash, which was nice but the car swallowed it without hesitation: maintenance or uprades (always looking for the unfair advantage). Tires were notorious because we went for the softest compound. On the Alfa that was a supercheapo Polish tire (last less than 2000km) but the Cosworth ate the far more expensif rallye tires when abused didn't last 500km.

Those were the days :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Tow it...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Don't have it anymore :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

You missed the bit about insurance :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Yay!

Still, get hold of one and tow it. Attach a camera to back of car and a not-too valuable friend to the wheelchair, then stick the results up on google video :-D

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I have thought about moving further north, maybe even further south (like New Zealand south). I know Frazer will have a comment about the Kiwis.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I've seen how they can rust though, but that was a pretty early one.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Naaah, most of my passengeres have got "SRS" imprinted backwards on their foreheads.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I think he's from Belgium. That ought to explain everything. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

They are all mad and good fun at parties.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston