Talking of things exploding, WTF did this happen?

Friend's dad's Thema LS Turbo blew up in a weird way. Pics at

Any ideas why it happened? The car almost went up in smoke because the oil spilled all over the turbo and caught fire. Good job he had a fire extinguisher onboard or that'd be his second Thema that went up in flames...

Reply to
fishman

Is it possible it's thrown it's cambelt - leading to a rocker being forced to hit the rocker cover at high speed and oil being pissed everywhere?

Reply to
SteveH

Eeeek - something wanted to leave the rocker cover in a real hurry?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How did the first one go? I can't see anything loose in your pics, do you know yet how the rocker cover fractured like that?

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I can't see anything loose either, but judging from the damage/marks inside the rocker cover, it deffo looks like something making a break for it ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Doesnt this engine have the cams acting directly on the valves with a hydraulic tappet inbetween? In which case, what could there be that wanted to make a run for it?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Shim?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Apparently the cambelt looks fine although it could've jumped a few teeth. (Belt was changed 18k ago which is quite a long time in 16v Lampredi terms).

There are no rockers, only buckets and shims.

Reply to
fishman

The tailpipes fell off, causing the hot exhaust gases to ignite the foam in the rear bumper.

Reply to
fishman

Lol - I pulled into a service area on the autobahn in my Rover with smoke and dripping plastic from my rear bumper - Vmax for about 100 miles had done its worse.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, you gotta laugh at that really :)

Reply to