Thieving Shitehawks...

DVLA, that is.

I've just received a form from them in the post, as the Calibra had 9 months tax left on it when it disappeared.

Given the car was toasted to a crisp by whoever pinched it, it's fair to say they've either kept the tax disc or more than likely, it went up in smoke with the rest of it.

So... according to this form, I can claim back the remaining tax... but they

*must* generate a duplicate licence before they can process the refund, and this will cost £7 which they will deduct from the money owed to me.

You couldn't make it up... yet another stealth tax - do they think we're that bloody stupid or what???

SHITEHAWKS!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Add it on to the insurance claim.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Heh, didn't think of that.

Anyway, that's not the point - it's not the money, it's the principal (famous last words, I know).

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" wrote;

Don't pay the 7 quid and lose the road tax rebate then. Its not the DVLA's fault you don't have the disk, and they need it to clear the matter.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven

conditions,

stuff the delay ask them to send you a new tax disc then send it back without a stamp on it :)

Reply to
dojj

I'd still need to pay the £7... ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" wrote;

No, I'm coming across as someone who has his eyes open's to the world around him, I've made my mistakes I'm not perfect, but I like to think I learn by them, and you're attitude seems to be the less than admirable stick your head in the sand type, crime will happen, its not good and I dont tolerate it, but it happens and the only thing YOU or I can do is make it as hard as possible for scroats to steal our cars.

Oh yes, and we wouldn't have to lock our house door's and our children would be free to play without risk from sickos but we dont live in that fairy-tale world.

Deadlocks are bollocks, were the Alarm and Imob Thatcham approved?

Oh yes, but make it as hard as possible.

Not a clue.

Ever thought of wearing one of those chain's which clip to your belt?

So is murder, rape, and all manner of other crimes, is a nicked car and a £7 fee (that you MIGHT not have to pay) REALLY that much of an issue??

Steven.

Reply to
Steven

Indeed, but we shouldn't have to, and it *IS* something that can be tackled if enough time and resources are devoted to it.

Yes, yes, yes... I was expecting you to come out with that one, but it's true - crime of this nature is all too common, and has become more so over the last couple of decades if I'm not mistaken.

Look, there was a time not so long ago, when if your house was broken into, or your car was stolen that the police would attend wherever you were, and physically take a crime report.

Now invariably, they don't bother - what sort of message does this send out to both the victim and criminal?

Try talking to a couple of coppers who've spent a while in 'The Job'... I guarantee you'll be met with a tide of despondency and tales of ineffectual woe.

It really doesn't have to be this way... it just needs a very pro crackdown public majority and a Government that actually listens to what its people wants, and no, it wouldn't change overnight, but the shift would be noticeable within a few years.

If you want more proof, I suggest you read up a bit on how Rudolph Giuliani turned New York round.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

And here was me thinking that the original issue was just JackH complaining about the fact that he would most likely be made to pay a £7 admin charge, a charge which, in theory, covers the admin costs of issuing a replacement tax disc, to just receive a refund cheque, for which there is not, and never has been a charge.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I don't think anyone's even remotely suggesting it's "acceptable", that's pretty stupid thing to say. All that's being stated is this is the way things *are*, whether we like it or not is irrelevant.

Well, tbh, yes it is. If you know that your property is under threat (and it is, given the s**te society we generally live in), and you don't act accordingly, then you would be partly to blame.

Then people will just be sneakier, and they will be more violent to ensure their getaway. Hell, cutting people's hands off isn't even a sufficient detterent in some countries.

What do you want them to do, sit an officer outside every car ?

Couple of minutes iirc, five at most.

Now that is pretty bad. The thieves should have been locked up for such bad taste alone :)

Yes it is, and we're all sick of it, but at the end of the day it's no use relying on other people as no one else is gonna wipe your arse for you.

Reply to
Lordy

And as a serious point, without wishing to put ideas in the mind of the DVLA, it's interesting that there is absolutely no admin charge for them to process a tax disc refund (which probably uses just as much manpower, if not more, than issuing a duplicate tax disc), but they get away with charging £7 for a tax disc dupe.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It is accepted; your statement above is in fact as good an example as any to prove that as fact, not opinion.

It never used to be this bad, and it doesn't have to continue to get worse, as well you know.

Oh I'll act accordingly if I find out whoever it is, trust me...

But the theft rate and levels of reoffending is infinitely lower than it is here...

(And no, I don't just put that down to it being a tad difficult to hot wire a car when you've only got one hand and a stump to set about it).

No, I want them to bother to come out when a vehicle is stolen (amongst other crimes).

I want them to have enough resources to be able to effectively get a grip on the problem, rather than the current situation where they seem to be half heartedly swimming against an ever stronger tidal wave of s**te.

The percentage of crimes that are detected and solved is pitifully low, if you bother to check out the relevant figures.

Five minutes.

Heh... I miss that car (honestly!)

Well in that case, maybe I should take the law into my own hands, eh?

And look where that got Tony Martin...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

If you've lost the receipt...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I haven't - still have the receipt from when I taxed it. :-P

That aside, if you'd bought the item from somewhere like Comet where they take your name and address when they generate the invoice, they have your details against the record of the purchase in question on safely stored on their systems, and can therefore reference this in the event you return the item.

So you wouldn't pay a surcharge, no.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The car was locked... deadlocks on, alarm / immobiliser set.

Perhaps I should sue Vauxhall, going by that logic...

ROTFL... yes STEEEEEEEEEEVEN, that is of course *exactly* what I'll do.

Are you suggesting that my car was the c

Yes thanks.

No, that's your apparent role in life.

Compare this:

With this:

So, in the case of the UK (England and Wales), a total of 5,301,187 crimes in general were reported in a country where the population is stated at that time to be 52,427,906.

Reported crimes which were just theft related amount to 3,214,365

So in other words, not taking into account the likelihood of one victim being hit several times, you were 10.11% likely to be the victim of a crime in general, or 6.13% likely to be the victim of a theft in general.

Now if we look at Saudi Arabia (1), the populous was stated to be 20,846,884 at that time, with level of overall crime reported being 72,512, and crimes reported relating directly to theft being 33,667.

That equates to you being 0.347% likely to being a victim of *any* crime, or

0.165% likely to be a victim of theft.

No... I'd rather they managed the funds they already get far better.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

So MOVE HOUSE.

You choose to live in a crime ridden area. If you don't like it, then leave !

Reply to
Nom

I completely agree. The problem here is that Joe Public simply refuses to stump up the significant tax rise required.

Reply to
Nom

Exactly.

Reply to
Nom

Of course he does. If Labour said they were gonna raises taxes by 10% (or whatever) at the next election, they would get bugger-all votes. This is the choice.

But even if it wasn't gonna be wasted on beaurocratic arseness, Joe Public still wouldn't wanna pay :(

Reply to
Nom

But they wouldn't do it at the next election, they'd do it just *after* the next election :)

Reply to
Lordy