Turning into Dervy....

Took the 306 to Blackpool and back on Sunday, to look at a flat. Since I'd be doing the run regularly I thought I'd stick (roughly) to the speed limit and see what kind of economy I'd get out of it.

51mpg. Not bad! It goes well too when pushed. Not like the 225 obviously, but it more than keeps up with the traffic.

Overall the car is pretty good. It handles well enough (considering the crappy tyres on it). The seats are a bit low backed and lack side support (I've had buckets for several cars now) so it feels like I'm gonna fall out when driving in a spirited fashion. The parcel shelf rattles under heavy braking (causing a 'WTF was that' moment the first time it happened...)

And there is an annoying squeak from the dashboard, but that's coz some of the trim didn't go in properly when I fitted the CD player, and needs adjusting...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Adjusting, with a hammer yea ;) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

pfft not as good as the 63 mpg i've had out the a4 this week :)

Reply to
Rob

I get 45 in a veryyyyyyyyy similar car - driving it normally.

Maybe 63mpg if you reset the trip and then measure it over a mile downhill in sixth on a trailing throttle...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Pretty good, that!

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

But your "normal" driving may be inefficient.

It's not difficult to get good mileage.

Reply to
DervMan

Either your trip computer is lying, or you're driving like my dad.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Agreed. I never managed more than about 38 in my Passat.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes - you're right. I chunter around the streets on zero boost, cruise at about 70ish on the motorway (on zero boost) and get right onto the engine room for full boost at the first sign of a half decent bit of A or B road. I have no clue how 'normal' that is and - oh God, it's so embarassing to admit this - I drive inneficiently. How can I live with myself............

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............................................

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Speaking of MPG. I have been keeping a very close eye of my Micra turbo. So far over exactly 2100 miles I have over all averaged 30.07MPG with my Max being 35.27 and worse being 25.23. I average 161.52 miles between fills, which have on average been 24.59 litres and on average cost me £23.40 per fillup, meaning £304 for 2100 miles ouch... (Optimax.)

Now THAT is turning into Dervy, and was infact inspired by Dervy after making me wonder just how much fuel the ST does use..

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Perhaps that's your problem, then?

My comment wasn't meant to be offensive. I know too many drivers who think that "slow driving" is "more economical," when all that means to them is that they merely accelerate and coast between 50 and 60 rather than 50 and

80 - but seem flabbergasted that in the same car (typically their car, heh) I return comparable average speeds but materially better (lower) fuel consumption.

You're missing the point, though.

63 from an A4 diesel is not beyond the realms of possibilities. Unlikely perhaps, but then so too would 58 mpg be over several hundred miles in a 1960s engine vintage Ka...
Reply to
DervMan

Wahey! :)

We've had the Accord for only a few hundred miles (and several weeks). So far the only tank we've filled has averaged *cough bonus Shell PlusPoints cough*. :)

The Prius I was driving in the USA, however, that was fiendishly economical with my driving style (lots of lifting off early). In US figures, we averaged 52 mpg over an 800 mile trip. It returns *better* mileage in the city. That's Fiesta TDCi consumption - from a petrol hybrid automatic with

110 bhp of poke when you want it (until the battery runs flat heh).
Reply to
DervMan

Yeah, until the battery runs flat and costs about £4k (and the rest, probably) to replace....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes. Except it's still under warranty and it's a Toyota, so it shouldn't break.

Mind you the tax rebate softens the blow.

Other than the Hybrid Synergy Drive technology, the car itself isn't bad. I'd have one. The only real problem is the extremely annoying reversing beep, so that you know it's in reverse. Grrr!

Reply to
DervMan

My mate got 11MPG out of his Lancia Y10 Turbo... mind you he drove it so hard the gearstick was hot to the touch!

Reply to
fishman

But that was petrol, no? Depending on precisely which year/engine variant he has, the official combined economy figure could be anything up to 54mpg, so getting 63 on a cruise is well within the bounds of possibility.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Those things were dangerous....

...shame they stopped making them!

Reply to
DervMan

He has a 1.8T Quattro.

I think his computer is being more than a little optimistic.

Reply to
SteveH

No no, that's Ronny. Rob has some dieseasel powered A4.

Try and keep up at the back YTC ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Err, no he doesn't. That's Ronny. Look back - it's Rob that mentioned the

63mpg.

Nah, about right, if it's a fair bit of gentle driving, sitting at 50-60mph. ISTR JackH saying he got 69mpg on the trip computer from his Passat.

Reply to
AstraVanMan