Squeaks and Rattles

My 2004 9-3 just started developing some disappointing rattles. The front passenger seat rattles when it is not occupied, even on fairly smooth roads. The sun screen below the moonroof rattles when it is fully retracted and the moonroof is closed. The part on the B pillar where you can adjust the placement of the driver seat belt seems like it's rattling too. Then there's an unidentified rattle coming from somewhere on the driver's side door, maybe from the speaker. These things are annoying, especially since the car is still pretty new. Are these things that the dealer will take care of? Not being able to reproduce problems at the dealer is one of the most annoying aspects of car ownership; will they know where to make adjustments if I can describe the sounds even though I might not be able to reproduce them?

Reply to
Shane Almeida

I don't know where you live, but overhere it is common for dealers to take care of these things for free (under warranty) the first two years.

A car of this stature should not have these problems, but that's another issue.

Put it on paper and try to describe how it sounds and where it comes from as precise as possible. Don't forget the "acoustic trap", sounds may come from a different place then you think!

Reply to
Zweef®

Welcome to saab ownership they all raddle and squeak. Ive

owned 5 and they all raddle and squeak.

good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

I've owned 3, two classic 900's and a 9K, drove hundreds of thousands of miles with them, but no funny noises with any of them, ever!

Did you ever do any maintanance?

Reply to
Zweef®

I'd agree with the original poster. Probably the most disappointing thing about my '96 9k CSE when I bought it 5 years ago was the squeeks and rattles (although, admittedly, I am slightly obsessive about rattles in cars!)

I took all the door trims off to tie up loose cable and add bits of foam. Also adjusted the rear hatch to make it tighter when closed (big difference) and added some foam strips to the bottom of the rear parcel shelf where it slides into the side supports. Also added some foam pads underneath a connector inside the plastic light unit in front of the sunroof - the bit with the little panel which holds an allen key for emergency sunroof closing. (I think I read somewhere later that there was actually an official TSB about this one, with a similar proposed fix.)

This all made things better, but there are still some minor rattles, usually on bumpy urban roads. On a smooth motorway surface, though, it's a rattle-free delight!

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Scott

Ahh, well maybe it has something to do with the fact that all my Saabs were pre-GM, an '81 and '84 900 and an '89 9K.

Foampadding seems to be the keyword here ;-)

Reply to
Zweef®