Two Ford related questions

1: At what mileage would the cambelt be likely to need changing on a J-reg escort estate 1.6?

2: What could cause the steering wheel to vibrate under medium-heavy braking on an S-reg fiesta 1.25? Bent front wheel? (it has been driven into a ditch in the past afaik).

Cheers

Reply to
Tom Robinson

the escort iirc would be a cvh 8v yes? so i would say 36k or if you've just bought it NOW with sods law and all that

as for the vibration in the fester is it just under braking if so i would maybe have a looksies for the disks being warped/sticky brakes etc a bent front wheel would really show up a bit more than just under braking (unless you never take it above 40 mph)

Reply to
Rob

No idea, but around the 60-70000 mark to be safe

If it only vibrates when braking then warped discs possibly.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

If it a carb'd CVH (most likely) and not the injected PTE engine, then the interval is 36k. If its the PTE engine then the interval is 40k. (later increased to 48k)

Bent wheel, or bent / broken wishbone (these are engineered weak to bend very easily)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

"Tom Robinson" wrote

Never. And hope it dies a horrible painful death like all Escrotes do.

Warped disc(s) caused by lots of heavy braking or by a long brake from high speed followed by keeping one's foot on the brake pedal!

Reply to
fishman

To add a thought to the others, duff wheel bearing would do this. "Lots of things" might be another answer. I'd jack it up and see what was loose, maybe spin the wheel to see if it is true but the wheel itself is easy enough to check by putting it on the back where it won't be affected nearly so much by braking.

Reply to
Questions

Yeah, I had thought about swapping the fronts and backs, might give that a go. Thanks for all your replies.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

1) As soon as you buy it cos you can bet its never been done. 2) Warped discs. Worn TCA bushes. Worn anti-roll bar bushes. A bent front wheel would do it all the time.
Reply to
Conor

Er, I think you need to half that figure !

Reply to
Nom

Do it now. Right now.

Then every three years / 36K.

Unlikely to be warped-discs on a 1.25 Fester. But change em anyway - should cost next to nothing.

Reply to
Nom

Shitty ford crap!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Or looking at it the other way it could be if its got weedy disks because its a relatively lowly model, and its had a bit of abuse!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Carl Gibbs" wrote

Mk 4 1.25 Fiestas are good cars - that little engine is great and they don't handle badly either. Plus they're refined and comfortable on long journeys. A very, very surprising little package when you consider the utterly dire Mk3 Fiesta. The front end looks a bit weird though.

Reply to
fishman

1.25 Fiestas go well though. I've warped the discs on a few of 'em...
Reply to
Pete M

Hmm, 35000 miles cambelt changes, but the cambelt is cheap and easy to do, unlike certain Japanese mid engined things.

Reply to
Pete M

souls

Cambelts already been done by Mr Vamp so i dont care :) And besides its only £15 which isnt a lot and i doesnt look *that* hard to do anyway, and theres more room than a 205 diesel to do it in!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I'm not disputing that, i've heard good things about the engine, but at the end of the day its still a fairly small lump, and probably has small brakes to go with it!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

souls

Exactly :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Carl Gibbs decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

heh, £15 ? Daylight robbery that.

As for 205 Diesels, ohhh yusss. Never again.

Reply to
Pete M

souls

Mine really needs to be done, gawd knows when it was done last and we've done 15000+miles in it. Its not really that difficult, i just cant be arsed. Although i finally ordered the cam oil seal yesterday thats been waiting to be done since i got it, so you never know...

Reply to
Carl Gibbs