UK: Is is possible to buy a new car with no driver's airbag?

Been there, done that. Managed to walk away each time though, can't say whether it's luck or judgement those times, and I don't want to repeat the experiment to find out!

I used to do that. Then I got old cars that cost 300 quid for a wing... Contrary to what my passengers might tell you, I now take it alot steadier! Besides, I work on the theory I've had enoguh crashes to find my limits now, so I shouldn't go over them again... :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Nobody 'intends' to crash, yet they still happen...

Reply to
Lordy

Heh! That's sort of what I did - had a little knock in my old Carlton that I managed to fix with panels from another Carlton I had at the time which was exactly the same colour (matching colour code!), plus a few other bits I exchanged with someone else for some other Carlton bits I had, meaning that accident cost me a grand total of £20. Then I bought an Audi A6 and had an accident in that. Wasn't even worth considering not claiming on my insurance.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You crashed your A6?!

I was hooning along the same bit of road that the four of us drove along today, and I was thinking of that chuffing big sideways-moment puddle...

Reply to
DervMan

Heh - hooning around near Hornsea in a service loan 1.0 corsa (skinny tyres, wet road, zero temp) I crested a mound to see oncoming truck... corsa was going flat out in third (about 60) so I hit the brakes...

Amazing what happens after a year driving cars with ABS and stability control.... Light back end locks up, I have to correct the back going well sideways while still having to bring a non - abs car to a halt.... magic....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

A 6 inch spike in the centre of the wheel would focus peoples minds better, they would concentrate on driving more, wouldn't dar frive without a properly adjusted seatbelt, and would do less stupid things like drink coffee, shave, or still make handheld mobile calls, because they wouldn't dare risk an accident.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

But can I still play counter-strike while driving down the M6?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You are Jeremy Clarkson and I claim my 5 uk pounds.. :)

Reply to
Stuffed

The MG Rover X-Power SV and SV-R have no airbags. Probably not quite what you were after tho... :)

Reply to
Lordy

Bit different for the driver, there is a steering wheel between them and the screen. I used to know a very pretty girl that had taken a bite out of a steering wheel. Needed about £5K of dental work (more like £10K by now) to her lower jaw. She stopped smiling for a very long time.

I also know someone that ran into the back of a stationary milk float in fog. The passenger head butted the windscreen and it fell out on to the bonnet. That's not going to happen with modern bonded in screens.

Peter Hill

Even with a seatbelt on, the steering wheel can inflict serious injuries. I worked in a hospital about 30 year ago. We would see people who had been unbuckled from an inertia reel seatbelt by the ambulance crew, so no doubt that they had a seatbelt on at the time of the accident. But at speeds as low as 50mph (estimated by plod) some of those people would end up blind as a result of their eyes hitting the rim of the steering wheel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You obviously ride a motorbike - as I do.

It's a view quite common on the roads in Central London/SE UK where I ride to commute.

It would get the car drivers to concentrate if they though that anything might happen to them.

David

David Probett snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com

Reply to
David Probett

In article , snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Actually yes. As long as it is against another player on the same machine you can still play games. It only becomes illegal if you go on line to play, because an internet connection of any kind counts the same as a mobile call. You can still text as long as the phone is in a cradle too.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I wish I had he moneym stable of cars, and donkey sanctuary. He can keep his haircut and taste in jeans.

The older I get, the more I see sense in every word he says. Even when I know he is talking complete bollocks, and I'm laughing at it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Fix the controller to the dash and you're sorted tho :)

You can still make a voice call so long as the phone is in a cradle...

Reply to
Lordy

True, but you can make a hands free call using a cradle, but I don't know how you make a handsfree text?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Nope but used to do a lot of Train/Cycle commutes including in Manchester and London (Cricklewood-> Wilsden Junction->White City->

Shepherds Bush->Hammersmith). Didn't pass driving test till 2 and 1/2 years ago, before that done 14 years of long distance cycling for fun and commuting, and being apassenger incars seeing what the driver of that vehicle was doing wrong, as well as those arround me.

Funnily enough an area where I lived and cycled for over a year.

Agreed. I'm even guilty of drifting a little myself (Focus and attention, not sleeping) especially when maybe listening to a an interesting call on a a radio phone in for example when the motorway is crawling, and there little to no stimulus arround the car.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes, I fully appreciate that occasionally airbags are a bad thing. But they do save far more lives than they take !

Reply to
Nom

Er.

But they do !

But not even NEARLY as many instances as which they REDUCE injury.

Granted, occasionally airbags kill people, and/or make things worse.

But the vast majority of the time, they are A GOOD THING - go and watch some NCAP test videos if you don't beleive me. Airbags save FAR more lives than they take !

Reply to
Nom

Id imagine txting from the cradle would be far more dangerous than txting if you had the phone in one hand, typing using the thumb of the same hand... not that id try it..

Reply to
Ben Organ