Utterly OT : FTP Problem

I have an FTP server (Serv-U) set up which I'm trying to connect to from work so I can transfer some data to my home PC. If I try and connect to the server from my home computer it works fine. If I try and connect to the server from my work computer, it won't find the FTP server.

There are no firewalls or anything in the way at either end. No proxys involved (other than I'm piggy backing onto the internet from my own departments network using ICS).

Any suggestions as to what the problem is... ?

Reply to
Lordy

You don't say exactly where the server is. Is it at home, at work, or neither?

The bit about you 'piggy backing' onto your work's network doesn't make sense - Is it your FTP server that is running through ICS at work?

Need more info...

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

Tried PASV mode?

Reply to
Ben Organ

It's at home, hence why I'm trying to connect to it from work to transfer some data home :)

I meant I could connect to the server from the same PC at home and it works fine, and I've run plenty of servers in the same way before that other people can connect to with no problem. I just can't seem to reach it from work.

No, I just mean I'm using Internet Connection Sharing through my work network to get to the outside world. I don't see how that would prevent my work computer from seeing the home IP address tho, just mentioned it on the offchance.

Reply to
Lordy

Your home IP address doesn't begin 192.168.0 does it?

Apologies if that was an egg/ascendent training interface.

Reply to
Grant Mason

Could be anything !

Can you connect to your home FTP server from a different machine - ie, one of your mates or something ? If nobody can connect, then you need to look at your home PC/network. If others can connect, but your work machine can't, then you need to look at your work PC/network.

I'm assuming you've tried PASV mode and non-PASV mode, and that you've pinged your home machine (PING xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) to make sure your work machine can actually see it.

Reply to
Nom

Check the headers of my last post...

Reply to
Lordy

Which to be honest, could have been posted from just about anywhere...

But I take your point.

Absolutely no firewall/router at work that could interfere with the return path? Any AV software at home preventing external connections on certain ports?

Reply to
Grant Mason

Quick thinking :)

I'm saying no - and there's certainly no custom software running - but they're running XP tho so it's possible the built in Firewall is in action (iirc it's enabled by default as well, and there's no one in that side of the building skilled enough to know what it is, let alone turn it off :)

Would that stop me connecting out tho, I thought it was just inwards on the standard XP 'wall...

Nope.

Reply to
Lordy

Ah...

Possibly

Cool, Right, what about the PASV mode on your works PC (not your FTP server), this could be the issue as if there is a firewall in the way this will allow it to work, although I'm not sure but ICS works by making use of a proxy server which could cause this issue.

Try PASV mode on you FTP software and see what happens, although you should be able to see the server though.

Can you ping your home machine from work? that would be the best start. If not, have you another machine at home that you can try from?

Next, how is you home machine connected to the internet? if through a router (ADSL/Cable usually) are all the correct port forwarded?

And final thing to try before I think of more things, you say your work machine connects to the internet via another machine that has ICS enabled? Can you access the FTP server from THIS machine instead? that will take the ICS software (proxy server) out of the equation.

Hope something here helps

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Makes no difference.

Didn't try that actually.

Nope. I'll flag someone down the next time I load Messenger up and get them to try and FTP in to me...

Straight to a cable modem, nothing in the way.

Yes. I run my own network for my department (standard MS networking), which I've piggy backed onto the main Novell network for the company.

Putting any other software on the office server machines is a no-no. The management are frightened of computers, and even more frightened of anyone who even vaguely knows how to work one (He's a witch ! Burn him ! Burn Him !) :(

My next route is to try using Messenger instead, and just use file transfer (assuming that can connect out of the building...).

Reply to
Lordy

Well I can't ping you, hmm can't ping goggle.com maybe ntl are playing up or could be my firewall but that shouldn't block outgoing pings.

Reply to
Depresion