Valve stem seals

On my MK2. I understand the gist is something to do with getting compressed air into the cylinder to keep the valves closed - I assume there's a special tool for blowing air into a spark plug hole? What's the rest of it - is it a case of rocker cover off, cams off, tappets off and then valve springs off to get access?

Reply to
Doki

I may be the owner of the world's first twin cam MK2 Golf 8V according to that post...

Reply to
Doki

At great risk of showing my age here goes...

Get an old style natural fible clothes line. Softish and bendy. Feed as much of it as poss into the cylinder in question through the plug hole at about 30 degrees before top dead on the compression stroke. Now with a spanner on crank turn it to top dead or as close as you can.

The rope stops the valves opening. Remove valve actuating gear and valve cap retaining collets by tapping with a hammer and large socket and the collets will jump out... Really!

Dont drop em down the oilways to the sump! If you do then get a telescopic ariel magnet thingy to fish them out!

Lift off retainer and springs and then pull oil seal off... Fit new. Refit springs with a socket and the collets and a lever of some kind. Its easier than it sounds and they fall into place.

Reverse procedure and then do the next one...

When done go to pub.

Reply to
Burgerman

TBH the bit I don't like the sound of is taking the timing gear off. ISTR undoing valve springs on old engines with no OHC was far easier.

Reply to
Doki

Its easy... Dont worry. You sound like my mum.

Reply to
Burgerman

Not difficult on your engine, just beware the collets, they are little bastards.

Reply to
Geoff

Taking the timing belt, cams, and hydraulic tappets off an 8v Golf engine is easy, trust me. I've done it to replace hydraulic tappets following the haynes BoL, and it was a cinch.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

your mum done a lot of work on old golfs? :)

Reply to
Vamp

No. Which was the point!

Reply to