Blue smoke -- Help!!

Hi all, I previously had my jeep in the shop looking for the source of what I thought was ping. The shop said it wasn't and that the noise was coming from the valve train. At the same time he told me he could see blue smoke coming from the tail pipe. I couldn't see what he was talking about and left it at that. I took it to a second shop where they do dyno testing etc on engines and he said I was chasing a ghost with the noise the other guy said was from the valve train.

Last weekend I put my jeep through the first 4 wheel drive "romp". The area was in a national forest and mostly used by trail riding bikes (in the Cleveland national park by lake Elsinore, Ca). It was a good ride and I was in 4 wheel low, climbing hills, going though water, and basically torquing out the engine as I have not done before.

I noticed on the trail I can now see blue smoke coming from the tail pipe and now, today, I can clearly see it coming out pretty well. It is most evident when I let it idle for a time and then hit the gas pedal.

I just changed the oil before I left last weekend with a new filter and new oil and I checked it today and the level is fine. There's no water in the oil. It looks pristine.

I have smog coming up in the next month and I'm planning a major cross country road trip.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how bad this might be and what tests I can do to determine the status of my baby.

If it's the valves then I have another head (4.0L) that I can replace it with sitting in the back yard. I don't want to do that though it it's the rings or another issue.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

how many miles are on this engine? what year is the engine? how much does it smoke when you first start it?

bob z. is guessing that a new set of valve stem seals will fix you right up!

-- bob z.

2003 Rubicon TombRaider 2004 Rubicon BLACK

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

Not sure on the engine age/miles. I'm guessing from what I've been told that I have between 60k to 80k but that's just a guess.

Do you need to pull the head to put the valve stem seals on?

Thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

In my limited experience if a vehicle smokes while idling or when it is first started it is probably loose valve guides or worn valve guides. I had a Ford Custom 500 when I was a kid and when it sat overnight it would smoke like you wouldn't believe when first started, it could also be rings but lets hope that it is valve guides.

It could also be a plugged PCV valve or hose.

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

How do you access the rings on a 258? Can you do this with the head off or do you need to pull the engine?

I don't have an air compressor. Oh, I think I see what you're saying. You're saying to pump compressed air into the spark plug hole to hold the valve in place. Otherwise it will fall down into the cylinder when it's unbolted.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

another 'shadetree' trick is to stuff a nylon rope into the sparkplug so as to fill the cumbustion chamber completely. the valve will then have nowhere to go when you are squeezing the spring...

it is easiest to pull the engine to replace the rings, but an adventurous individual could attempt to do it from underneath - pull the oil pan and crank and etc., etc., etc.

i have little money for many things and i have found it is much easier to keep it simple. valve stem seals are much cheaper to replace than guides or rings or other things. i am not saying it couldn't be the rings or guides that are bad, i am just saying, try the valve stem seals. BUT, FIRST! first check the PCV valve.

has this engine ever been overheated?

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

Funny you should ask that. Before I bought this jeep the previous owner had drivin it whiile the water ran out. He pulled over to let it cool and so he thought the cooling process would be faster if he poured water on the engine. NOT. So needless to say he cracked or warped something. So he took it to a shop near his house (he showed me all the receipts for this) and they repaired the engine by either replacing the block with a used block or head, I can't remember but I will look at the receipts when I get home. So what I have now is a mish mash of old and new.

Why do you ask this question? What are you thinking?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Overheating cooks valve stem seals really fast.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

exactly!!!

8~)>

-- bob z.

2003 TombRaider Rubi 2004 Rubi - BLACK "people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©
Reply to
bob zee