vectra dash removal questions

I know this has come up before, but the not so new vectra's with the dash thing screen computer gubbins has gone up the spout and apparently the only way to sort this is to remove the dash

anyone done this and have they got instructions on how to do it please? they have to be emailed on to another geezer so if you can make them as clear as poss. please

thanks :)

Reply to
dojj

if it's anything like the dash on my cavalier it's gonna be a right bitch and involve a lot of swearing.

there's normally bit of plastic that you have to bend to near breaking point to remove, sadly i can't help to much soz....

tried a vauxhall group? there's one on yahoo groups that used to be real useful but i dunno if i still have it on my yahoo groups list, if i find it i'll dig it out incase they can help

Reply to
Vamp

cheers mate

Reply to
dojj

OK, here goes. I haven't had to do this for about 2 years, so my memory may be a little foggy.... This procedure is a little easier if you have tiltable steering column, BTW

1). Remove steering column shrouds (3 screws underneath, 2 behind steering wheel). Detatch indicator/wiper stalks - two little plastic push-in catches at top and bottom of switch. No need to remove electrical connectors. 2). Remove headlamp switch. You may be lucky and find that it will come out with some gentle leverage from a screwdriver at its mid-point on either side. If it doesn't, then you have to remove the knob (a tiny plastic catch accessed through the notch in the bottom of the knob). There are two metal clips on either side that have to be pulled in towards the spindle to free the switch. 3). Remove heater vents from above h/light switch and two above radio. Remove 2 screws from behind centre vents. Remove 3 screws from behind driver vent and headlight switch. 4). Remove two screws located in recess just above steering column holding vent trims to dash. These should now be free to move aside. 5). Two more screws hold the instrument cluster to the dash. Once removed, it can be moved forward and the radio display plug removed. It is now a delicate juggling act to get the cluster out past the column without breaking any plastic lugs off. This is where it is easier if you have a tiltable steering wheel.

If you have the dash out, I recommend replacing the illumination bulbs at the same time. Sods law will say that one will blow once you have put it back in.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

cheers :)

Reply to
dojj

I had the dash out (just to replace bulbs) of a '97 Vectra a couple of months ago, using a combo of Haynes Manual + newsgroup advice.

There was/is an article on the Web somewhere on how to overhaul that dash computer (take it apart carefully (have to break open the casing), clean up the contacts with contact cleaner & re-assemble, glue shut).

- Try cutting up a strong thin piece of plastic card (like a credit card) into strips & use them to push in the air vent catches when trying to extract the airvents (where Haynes suggests a feeler guage). Use a hook of some sort to pull the vents using a strong internal anchor point.

- Do NOT turn on the ignition while the dash is disconnected from the wiring loom. May set an airbag alarm condition.

- The wiring loom clip is very tight but the 2 parts can be prised apart using a thin flat bladed screwdriver. Cheers - Nigel

Reply to
Nigel R

when I last had the dash apart airbag light come on after & had to get Vauxhall to reset @ the cost of £40.00 all I did was changed a bulb in the dash ???

Reply to