Astra sump removal

Hi any help please?

I am unable to remove sump plug on Astra 1.9 diesel as it appears the thread may have gone.

I have a slight oil leak around it so firstly ant tips for removing plug or alternatively, how easy is it to remove the sump.

Many thanks,

Reply to
peteariss

Why do you think the thread's gone? (Really.....not being arsey)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

1.9 astra? did they actually do a 1.9? I thought it was 1.7. JB
Reply to
JB

OK its a 1.7!

I think thread has gone because the drain plug turns both ways but doesnt actually come out.

Reply to
peteariss

Try getting a pair screwdrivers behind the head of the bolt as you undo it. It sounds like only a couple of threads are buggered. You will probably need a helicoil in it afterwards though. Phone around a few engineering shops? JB

Reply to
JB

Is it the Isuzzu lump of the vauxhaull one? My old cav (Isuzzu engine) had that problem, it would'nt seal and there was a persistent slight oil leak. I ended up having a new sump pan fitted as the plug would'nt come out. £90 all in I think which was about the same as having it taken off, helicolied and then replaced. The engine had done around 140K at the time and as it needed oil changes at every 4.5K (actually done every 5K !) I guess that the thread was overtightend once too often. Not by me as it was always garage serviced.

Reply to
Dave Spam