Way OT: Calling ISP types

I know some people on here work in ISP industry (or did recently - doh) but I'm working on a project at the minute and I need to find out who writes the software you get with some broadband setups, particularly those that include a router.

The software is aimed at quite computer-illiterate people to get them set up on a broadband router - it detects they have the right protocols installed, access privileges, IP settings and so on then goes on to make sure the computer is talking to the router, then makes sure the router is talking to the ADSL/Cable network.

I need to find out who writes it or whether it's open source. I just need to get my hands on the people who write it as part of this project involves an ECU diagnostic gateway device that is accessed by the computer in much the same way as you do a router (as in those ones you can log into their web page and change the settings).

Hope someone can help!

Reply to
fishman

You tend to find only biggies like BT/AOL/Orange(Wanado) have their own install software. All the rest just use the stuff that comes with the hardware itself, or nothing if the end user is sourcing their own hardware.

At best you might find they have help files/user manuals online, or an email/phone helpdesk if you have no connectivety at all.

Reply to
Elder

Not sure if you got my drift from my original post. I'm looking to find the authors of the software with a view to contacting them to ask if they can write a bespoke version for this thing I'm working on and wondered if anyone had insider knowledge as to who the work was subcontracted out to.

Also, wondered if these BT/AOL/Wanadoo types maybe wrote the software in house?

Reply to
fishman

I'd be guessing in-house.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Have you considered the primate house at the local zoo? Must be where NTL hired there group from.

Reply to
Depresion