what can I buy?

Re: the JDM stuff - I know someone that used to have one on Tein springs (maybe just springs, dunno) and the ride quality was totally unacceptable - simply rock solid.

Reply to
DanB

my BMW! or a nice MR2 turbo, or MX5 might even get a turbo'd supercharged/turbo charged jobby maybe!

Reply to
Vamp

oh what about an old 80s camaro 5litre rs? :) i would!

Reply to
Vamp

lol cool!

Reply to
Vamp

But about 125 bhp in reality...

But still its got to be fun.

Reply to
Burgerman

I rather like the LeBaron TC, which was sort of like a cut-price Cadillac Allante. And the Dodge 600, which could be had as a convertible with fake wood panels. And a continental kit.

The K-car. The car that taste forgot.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Hey Dan, have you ever travelled in a Rascal? They're that horrid, I'd rather trailer a standard one than drive it!!

That one is *very* cool though, maybe just a bit too OTT for what I want though - I don't fancy driving that out to Greece later this year via the 'ring...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I like MX-5s. I don't think they're a hairdressers car, I just wanted something a bit different or maybe rawer hence the interest in the Robin hood caterham rip-off. I'd have a Caterham, but I don't have the cash for a real one. My boss has one, a "proper" caterham from the 70s running a crossflow motor with big carbs, wild cam and all lightened and balanced internals. For a 1700cc car, it's totally mental.. :-) It's been clocked at

5 sec dead to 60, makes a great noise and pops and farts like an old man when cold. I love it! I love the fact it spits back through the carbs, and he arrives at work smelling of petrol and looking totally dishevelled..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You'd get on well with bike carbs then, mine spit and fart until warm, it even clears a patch on the inside of the bonnet with the petrol "standoff" :) There's nowt like arriving wherever you're going, stinking of petrol with flys between yer teeth :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Someone on PH giving out duff info? Shocker.

Reply to
Depresion

Nitrous injection.

Reply to
Depresion

DIY Nitrous

I can easily do up to 140bhp extra (at ALL rpms...) for about 70 squid.

Or double that with an extra 30 quid nitrous solenoid...

Reply to
Burgerman

Shhh, you could have made a tidy profit there.

Reply to
Depresion

Now *that* was an interesting read...

I like Q-cars - look crap but go like stink. I've got a 2.0 stock-ish browny-purple Mondeo (see? looks like crap... just needs some go ;-). For now it's got a tweaked air filter, powerflow exhaust with too-big letterbox pipes (secondhand, so didn't get to choose them - do you think those small-to-big tailpipes Halfrauds sell would go on backwards?) and just-about-better-than-wheeltrims Scorpio alloys.

I've been trying to tweak it around a bit without spending much on it and while still leaving it reliable and cheap as a daily commuter car. I was a bit lost for the next step - chips and such are several hundred to fit, while wild cams, multiple throttle bodies, MegaJolt etc all make it a bit snorty for daily use (to my thinking anyway - YMMV).

I had thought Nitrous was a stupid power, stupid insurance, high risk route. But reading your site makes me think it might actually be the best fit for what I'm after - stock(ish) driving normally, with an extra 40bhp or more while overtaking or getting away from boy racers at the lights.

Can it really be done for £100 or so? How about refill costs?

I'm old enough to get reasonable insurance, reasonably handy with a drill, plumbing bits (it is basically plumbing isn't it?), electrics etc. and not too bad with the maths...

Hmm... next project coming up maybe...

Or should I put it in my Missuses 323F instead without telling her?

Reply to
PCPaul

Well, Burgerman has had that site up for years (amazed you've never seen it?) and always maintains that as you're as you're semi-smart it's a piece of piss. Go for it, YKIMS ;-)

Reply to
DanB

I've seen it around all the time I've been on here, but like I said I always assumed nitrous was only for nutcases. Maybe I'm just becoming one?

Reply to
PCPaul

Don't fight it ;-)

Reply to
DanB

I have in the past done it for 40 quid using "found" co2 bottles (think pub) and a freindly landlord, modified compressed air solenoids etc.

No, gas extra I am afraid...

Thing is its really TOO easy. And also too easy to fit (or drill) a bigger nitrous jet. The results usually end in tears if you dont stop at a sensible

40 to 60 percent increase. If you are brave, and really understand what you are doing an extra 100 or more percent is also easily possible with nothing more than a jet swap (drill...)

Reply to
Burgerman

I do vaguely know a friendly landlord...

Yes but how much is it?

Reply to
PCPaul

Heh, Cologne engine on the Exploder, an extra 90bhp. Very tempting but I think, being honest, it's already overpowered for the driving dynamics.

Reply to
Steve Firth