what can I buy?

Err not long. Bout 15 years?

Reply to
Burgerman

Try that these days and you'd be surprised. Especially with Flux - I had a car insured with them *once* and it'd stay that way.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ive got it! You dont want 2 wheels. You dont want greedy. You dont want boring and you do want fun/small? And you like v8s??/

Burgerman

Obviously it needs extra fuel, as does the Nitrous Oxide. What I meant was you're not spending a lot on nitrous oxide (on top of the fuel) everytime you use the extra power.

Rubbish, just like the nitrous oxide you don't have to use it all the time, it's perfectly simply to drive off boost. I get the same MPG when cruising long distances with my 1.8T Corrado than I did with my 16V Golf. Obviously when using the extra 90bhp it drinks a lot more fuel.

I've nothing against nitrous oxide, I just don't think it's the best option for a pure road car. It doesn't take long for the cost to add up at £5-£8 a lb if you use it often.

Reply to
Homer

I might add burnouts, hard braking and tyre prices might be a little unusual.

Reply to
Burgerman

Erm :-) Things regarding modifing and insurance have changed a little since then...

Reply to
DanB

I'll have a dig round and report back..

It would *if* there was a turbo model for the same engine. I don't think there is...

Reply to
PCPaul

There doesn't need to be, for only a low boost system the only tricky part to get will be the exhaust manifold. You just need to find someone good with a welder to make one or I'm sure there must be someone you sells them for a Zetec.

Reply to
Homer

A statement you could only make if you snipped the rest of the sentence:

"unless you now start driving your car like a granny."

And that's what you did.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only for boy boy racers!

I know many that still get megadeals on big block nitrous dragstrip refugees etc. Customs and american cars cheap too. My own us import with lowered floor etc was "uninsurable" by all but 3 companies. Flux still cheapest at

360 fully comp. Maybe if you are 12 in a front drive chaved up grocery getter they are expensive! They are subsidising me!
Reply to
Burgerman

But nitrous can give up to 600 percent more power with zero lag at all rpms... . (if you are a bit mad) Turbo?

Reply to
Burgerman

But I *do* drive like a granny, most of the time.

Living semi-rurally as I do, though, sometimes the extra whoosh to get you past bloody caravans, tractors and 45mph-ers on short straights is nice to have.

Generally if I'm driving for fun the 130+bhp I have already is fine, on twisty A+B roads.

Reply to
PCPaul

Few, good job I didn't mention anything about expense, or I'd feel suitabley pwned right now :-)

FWIW I wouldn't insure with Flux if it was half the price of my current premium heh.

Reply to
DanB

Define "Driving like a granny", I can cruise around at a constant 85mph and use no more fuel than my old N/A 1.8. Just because it has a turbo doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, just like nitrous oxide. If you're going to compare them, then do it when they're both producing power, a trackday for example. Which is going to cost the most to run then?

Reply to
Homer

True, but I don't get the impression the OP is looking for an extra 600bhp.

Reply to
Homer

Lets face it, if I do a trackday I'll do it in something suitable, not a baggy old Mondeo...

Something small enough to trailer there but oomphy enough to be fun. Last time I did anything like that it was an Alfa-75 2.0 - 150bhp, RWD and an LSD. No way is the Mondeo *ever* going to be as much fun as that was.

Turbos have their place, and for a trackday car I'd definitely think about it (or a supercharger). But for this it's just to give me more go when I want it while making as little difference to putter-putter driving as possible, not costing the earth to do and even just for the hell of it.

Also, I don't think I'd have any trouble selling a can-be-shown-working kit on Fleabay for far more than it cost me to set it up ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

I bet SteveH's head just exploded.

Reply to
DanB

Well, it was a good car for that use in many ways - mainly because it cost me nowt and I could drive it like I stole it - I didn't plan to use it again after that..

Would have been horrible as a daily driver, though ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

Having to keep the revs below 2400.

See comment about "granny"

No, not at all. If you don't use nitrous the car is jsut exactly as it was. Add a turbo and you are now toting around excess weight and burnigne excess fuel.

No one does track days with nitrous. Compared them in a drag race, which one is going to win?

Reply to
Steve Firth

For some reason that brought to mind the bloke at work that stuck up pictures of his car crash on the intraweb. You know, the ones where you could see the blood on the headliner. I can't remember who that was. One of the Nicks?

Knowing how diplomatic I am about such things, it wasn't you, was it?

Reply to
Steve Firth