What's the widest tyre I can safely fit on a 15/6.5J alloy?

What's the widest tyre I can safely fit on a 15/6.5J alloy?

Currently using 205/45 tyres (from new), but they're not a common size, so they're expensive and (more importantly) there isn't much choice of compound.

I could drop down to 195/45 without too much difference in wheel circumference, but can the wheels take a wider size like 215s or bigger? Has to be safe - coming off the rim during heavy cornering isn't not my idea of fun! ;)

Cheers,

A.

Reply to
Snoopy
215, OR 225 no problem?

Sizes are nominal anyway, some 215 tyres are bigger than some 225s...

Reply to
Burgerman

Snoopy ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Let's put it this way - I have 205 on 6x15" rims as a standard size. I've put 215 on 6x14" in the past no prob, too.

I'd say 215 definitely, probably 225.

Mind, they were higher profile than 45s. (60 & 65)

Reply to
Adrian

Yes.

If it were me, I wouldn't go upto 225 though - that's stretching things a little (Escort Cosworth comes with 225 tyres as standard, on 8" rims)

Reply to
Nom