Tyres!

Hi all.

I bought my current golf M4 Estate 2 litre turbodiesel privately two years ago.

The car originally has steel wheels with 195/65 R15 91V tyres on it.

The seller claimed that he found them "rubbish" under his ownership and put four 17 inch alloy wheels on it.

The front tyres are Event WL905 255/45R17 94W's and the rears are Talon Triangle TR968 255/45 R17 90V. The spare tyre is a steel rim with a Continental Conti Eco Contact 195/65 R15 91V.

According to the Golf manual, I can use any tyre between the rim diameter range of 16 to 17 inches and between 195 to 255mm wide and a aspect ratio of 45 to 65.

I've now had the Golf two years and I find that they current tyres on the alloy rims are really rubbish as soon as the roads have the slightest bit of wetness on them. I find I get front wheelspin when I accelerate and also the back end slides outwards when I corner. So when there's a slightest bit of rain, I have to drive much more gingerly as if I am driving on Black ice. Thankfully there is no problems when I need to brake sharply.

Now the tyres are up for replacement.

I'd like the panel to advise what tyres will achieve that sweet spot of:

Value for money tyres Improved fuel economy Can do high miles between replacement intervals Long lasting in time (I do 6k miles a year so don't want rubber perishing before tyre has worn) Improved handling in rain for both accelerating and cornering

Obviously in achieving that sweet spot, I have the additional choice of:

(a) stick with the alloy rims and get a set of four matching tyres

(b) To go back to four steel rims and buy 4 Conti Eco Contacts so that I can then start using the spare in a 5 tyre rotation pattern?

(c) Do (b) but replace the spare tyre as well so I have a matching set of 5 tyres to achieve that sweetspot?

(d) use another wheel rim size to use specific tyres that hit the sweetspot?

Regards

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen H

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:27:00 +0000, Stephen H drooled:

Option B, though you could try Avons or Uniroyals. Sell the Alloys to offset some of the cost, and when you come to sell the car, the buyer won't think you are a tasteless chav who drives a modified car badly ;-)

Reply to
Mike P

This. Maybe.

Or possibly a set of 15" OEM alloys.

Uniroyal make decent budget tyres - Rainsport or Rainexperts are recommended.

Reply to
SteveH

Surely that's a 1.9, if it's MK4?

There's your problem. Never heard of them.

Make sure they're the right offset as well. Preferably OE wheels.

You have ditchfinders!

Good.

Personally, if you're after the best cost/improvement ratio I'd inspect the spare to see if it is OK, and get a set of 4 OE 15" wheels, alloy or steel, and buy some decentish rubber for the 4. As others have suggested, sell the 17s to finance some of it.

Treat the spare as a get-you-home, as it's probably the original, and past it's best. If it's knackered, buy 5 tyres.

As far as decentish rubber goes, lot's of people rate Uniroyal Rain Expert for price/performance. I've had good experience with Kumho KH31 for a mid-price tyre on SWMBO's Lupo, if you don't want to splash for premium brands.

I wouldn't rotate the spare. Swap front to back to even out wear if you want, but I just leave tyres where they are and replace as they wear. If you only do 6k/year then swapping may make sense to avoid the rears lasting too long and perishing- my annual mileage means my tyres don't get too old.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I have, either a Which or an Adac review. It's fair to say they aren't good.

Reply to
Doctor D

but I'll bet they were cheap!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I would also bet you are right :-)

The person who bought the alloys could not s(h)urely afford good tyres too, then he would have bought a car with original alloys.

:-) Charles

Reply to
Charles

Looking at boy racer alloys in Halfords is always enlightening for previously unknown tyre brands: Sunny, Nankang, Fullrun, Autogrip etc. Makes me shudder to think of some of the worst drivers on some of the worst tyres!

Reply to
Doctor D

My daughter had the events on per pug when she bought it the handling was fantastic (for a skid pan) massive understeer and your better off opening the door and sticking your foot on the ground in the wet, the first time i drove it i took it straight into the local tyre place and stuck decent ones on it

They should ban them they are bloody dangerous

Reply to
steve robinson

Yeah, if you drive dangerously, otherwise not.

Reply to
johannes
[...]

More pearls of wisdom...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm very cynical after reading too many fatal accident reports in the local papers... They go something like:

"Tributes were paid to XXXX, who died tragically when his (insert hot hatch) left the road and hit a (tree/lamppost/wall). No other vehicle was involved. The accident happened at 2:45 am after he had been celebrating his 19th birthday with friends, who survived the accident but received various injuries.

He was always the centre of any fun which was happening, and his school headmaster said that he was a bright if somewhat unruly pupil."

With a very heavy right foot?

Reply to
Gordon H

If you bother to read the independant reports they point out how dangerous these tyres are , many of them have stopping distances 30% further than a decent tyre,have inconsistant compounds , one batch were deamed not safe over 30 mph

Reply to
steve robinson

That can't be true, such tyres would not pass MOT on a car and hence could not be sold. So you just drive accordingly to the hardware, then it's not dangerous.

Reply to
johannes

Since when did the MOT start testing tyre grip?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The tyres must have correct load and speed ratings, have sufficient thread pattern and be free of faults. Most tyres far exceed the requirements for urban traffic, e.g. V and Z rated tyres.

Reply to
johannes

Yes, and where does that say that they check the grip?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As said, they check the standard of the tyres; that it meets the spec for the particular car, is suitable for driving at the rated top speed. Hence you often require V and Z rated tyres even when it's a total overkill for normal traffic.

Reply to
johannes

All the speed rating does is define that the tyre will not overheat at the rated load & the rated speed. It tells you nothing about the grip (or noise,wear or anything else).

Reply to
Duncan Wood

These tyres have all the correct paperwork, but like a lot that comes out of china , once certification is in place the quality goes out of the window , the favourite is crash helmets they are tested in three places the chinese manufacturers build the helmets to pass the test not to protect the riders head hence you can pick a cheap helmet up for 20 pounds , a helmet that will properly protect yor head will cost 10 times tat at least because these manufacturers implement the construction standards throughout the helmet

Reply to
steve robinson