Winter Wheels & Tyres

With winter just around the corner and an excuse needed for something else car-related, winter wheels and tyres are on the horizon. :)

I can get my hands on early mark three Fiesta 13s proudly wearing 145/80 profile tyres and a set of winter tyres will be under £100. Then all I need is some proper winter weather to crash the Ka in and blame the winter tyres! :)

Reply to
DervMan

I used to suspect all this, people saying wider wheels makes loads of difference and its loads harder in the snow was a load of shit, and just excuses for shit people to crash. Then i ran 170's on the 405 one year, and

205's the next year. Then i realised, it was a load of shit and the difference was sod all :)
Reply to
DanTXD

Were you using normal tyres or winter tyres, though?

Proper winter tyres are great in cold wet conditions. They're just naff for the rest of the year!

Reply to
DervMan

Normal tyres, both times.

Reply to
DanTXD

Unless you live on the hills, winter tyres really wouldn't make bugger all difference in the UK.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

:)

Reply to
DervMan

I used to live in Swissland, you could certainly notice the difference between summer and winter tyres. Then again we had snow and ice, not just a bit of rain.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It was pretty bad at the top end of the valleys today, but, I have to say, winter wheels and tyres are still a waste of money in the UK.

I just adapt my driving to take into account the snow.

Reply to
SteveH

Exactley. And you are on the edge of hill country, so you might have an excuse for it.

Any way, snow driving on the edge of control at 10MPH is fun, and less likely to result in serious damage, than Snow driving on winter tyres at

30, or on studs at 50, and hitting something when they do eventually let go.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar