Woohoo, off to Tatton for the Classic car show and Autojumble.

Must not spend money, but the missus is going to blackpool so I'm on my own, this could get dangerous.

Probabley get conned into purchasing a dodgy MG with the intention of buildign an MP3 GT. At least if I did, missus wouldn't hate me too much as she loves them.

Digital Camera and note book at the ready.

Wonder if I can write something freelance for one of the mags while I'm there.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

a what?

Reply to
Theo

Seconded...

A what?

Reply to
Dan405

An MGB GT, with a full on car PC install, with a factory fit look screen, a couple of Amps, decent speakers, and then get some of those replacement metal letters you get for old british car badges, and replace MGB with MP3, and oh yeah, give it a K series and 5 speed upgrade.

Really upset the old buffers.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yeah, but that would have to be a 4inch black and white goldfish bowl for the true 'factory look' ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

LOL yeah, that would be true.

But the trick would be to develop a woodgrain skin for Mediacar or Media Engine.

BTW, distinct lack of much italian apart from the Ferraris (about 8) and a couple of Lambos.

Was one GTV 2000 there, but it was in the classic car mart lot.

58,000 miles from new, summer use only, but beige interior a little ragged especially at the back, £3500. Turns out the guy is just arround the corner from me, and it turns out he has a later plastic bumper one that he uses as his daily driver. He as to sell one of them, because he is getting wed, and the missus to be has a "no more than 3 cars rule", and he has a Capri that she doesn't know about and a 924, as well as the two GTVs. Said if I wanted his daily runner instead of the better one, I could have it for arround £2000. Don't think (not that I know Alfa prices that well) they were really worth what he was asking. Certainly say it was "Original" condition, rather than concourse, right down to antique Ziebarting in the engine bay. Did look good though, and sound great.

How difficult to keep in balance are twin carbs?

BTW, were you all out a Stanford Hall today, and that is why there were not a lot of Italian motors there?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It's a bit of hard one to call - you _can_ get a tidy plastic bumper GTV for as little as £1500, but I've seen true minters for anything up to £7k. I wouldn't pay £3500 for one with a scrappy interior, 'cos you won't be able to sort that short of a full retrim. Personally, I'd prefer a 75 for the same money as a plastic bumper GTV2000 as the 75 got the twinspark lump, and more practicality as well as better rust proofing. Essentially, the 75 is a 4-door saloon version of the plastic bumper GTVs.

Set of vacuum dials and you're sorted. Remember, twin carbs are nothing in comparison to the bank of 4 most 4-pot bikes have.

Can't remember if it was today, not that it mattered to me as I like too far away to attend it these days, oh, and the small matter of being stuck in work.

Reply to
SteveH

Strange engine choice given that only the V6 K series has a worthwhile increase in torque over the original.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Just chatting cars and stuff, and mentioned I fancied an Alfa as my next one.

When i said, people have recommended I look at a 75, he said "Oh got no", then quickly, "That came out a bit harsh didn't it". Went on to tell me why a GTV was so much better than a 75. Pretty much what you have told me about why the 75 is better than the GTV :) Guess it is a passion thing.

On a slight twist. Was followed by a nice 33 who pulled along side me at the lights. Looked and sounded fabulous, and in red with white wheels and white Snake decal behind the rear doors, very nice. Tempting.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

K series as in Metro/MGF/Lotus Elise K Series?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Oh, and it had one small dent which he was going to sort, on the=20 passenger rear quarter behind the arch, and some paint reaction after he=20 has had the car resprayed on the drivers front wing. TBH, if it wasn't=20 for the fact that Italian cars that survive from the 1970's are worth=20 money, I would offer him no more than =A31500, and insult his to his face. = =20

if I didn't see the price offered, I wouldn't have thought it was=20 anything special. Looked god, not great, didn't "Smell" right if you=20 know what I mean, having said that, if I had driven it, I would have=20 probably bought it. Strange that isn't it.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

Its peak torque will be little different, and the decent torque is what makes the MGB. It's not and never was a screamer. And the original engine can be over bored to increase the torque further.

The 'B' isn't a chuck it around sports car, more a tourer. The Midget is - or rather more so - and that *does* suit a K series, which would have been the natural choice if it had continued in production.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Ah, OK, time top revise Ideas. Might need to locate a decent interior photo of a midget and work out where to get a screen in, also could do with finding a hardtop (especially if it was a fastback type).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Might be controversial, but if you can fit a Midget - they're a bit tight for legroom - IMHO they're a better car to drive all round than a B.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Jesus, a bit tight for legroom???

They're well-named - the most claustrophobic car I've ever been in (excepting my one journey in the back of a 206CC, when I had to get out and change seats with the front passenger after about 3 miles!)

Reply to
Jamesy

Well, I'm 6 ft tall although of slim to average build, and I had one for many years with no problems. It was a later car with the reclining seat backs, though. A smaller steering wheel helps too.

At least it's easy enough to find out if you'll fit - unlike many other things you find out too late.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Why?

And there was an overdrive box, so no need for a 5 speed, and there's many V8 ones around so no need for K series and hassles, and and and..

I'd like a B one day. But I wouldn't piss about trying to put el crappo new Rover bits in when I can drop el not quite so crappo older Rover bits in with off the shelf parts, and have something with a proper engine that's a very lazy cruiser. Although I'd far prefer a decent Midget really, still not quite at the age of fat grand tourer cars yet :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Mid 30's now, so in the 70's I can still remember them as a child. 60's and early 70's cars everywhere. Kind of stuck with me really, sports cars and motorsport cars from the 70's and 80's as a teen, sports/tourers from the 60's and 70's. Also odities like the mk2 and 3 zephyr/consul/zodiac especially the MK2 converts.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo