WTF happened...

...to the roads in Wales?

I haven't been there for a couple of years, but they seem to have transformed horribly from being gloriously empty to being completely stuffed full of sub-40mph cretins. This wasn't just the major roads either; they were *everywhere*.

Also, I don't know who is responsible for the M4, but I have learned to hate them dearly.

Reply to
albert T Cone

I blame SteveH. On both counts.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

albert T Cone gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Having done NW M25 to Fishguard and back in the last week or so, I can sympathise - to an extent.

On the way out, we followed the "recommended" (Haverfordwest) route from the end of the M4 to the port. Coming back, we came the other way, round via Cardigan and Newcastle Emlyn - well, almost, we did some B-roads. I don't reckon it took any longer to do that, and it was a MUCH nicer route

- the signed route was a mess of traffic and roadworks.

After a week round the west of Ireland, though, it's not a great surprise that the M4 didn't exactly seem a bucket of giggles...

Reply to
Adrian

Wales has always been like that. The standards of driving in the principality have been dreadful for as long as I can rememeber (dating back to 1966). Pootling along at 39mph everywhere, including dual carriageways and NSL roads is normal. Double parking, normal. Failure to use indicators, normal. Ignoring red lights "Evans the post never come this way on Tuesday." Being startled to find a non-Welsh driver on the roads and deciding to block their dangerous and excessive speed. Oh the list just goes on and on.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which bits? The constant roadworks around the Newport-Cardiff stretch, or the 50-limit around Port Talbot (and possibly other places, can't remember), fully GATSO-enforced?

Only time I've ever in Wales is when I go over to see my sister (Pembrokeshire coast), and I often find myself thinking "if only the trains past Cardiff were vaguely quick, and reasonably priced, I'd much rather go by train".

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Prius owners?

Mike P