Black smoke

Does anyone know if red diesel causes engines to chuck out more black smoke than normal diesel. I watched a guy driving out of our works car park yesterday and his Fiat Ulysses was belching smoke out, now he has been known to use a drop of the red stuff now and again and openly admots to it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Crawford

No. More likely old chip oil not filtered. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The same engine running on red diesel will produce more smoke. But the smoke could also be caused by several other things.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm...

I wonder if they could make the smoke red...

Just think... The M25 could look *even more* like this :-

Adrian

The message from "Jim Crawford" contains these words:

Drop him in it with Customs and Excise. The traces of it persist for several tankfuls after you use it.

Reply to
Guy King

I'll second that, several thousand miles too.

It's unfair that he gets away with using red derv.

Reply to
DervMan

Why? Is it a cruder diesel or summat? Red diesel that is.

Reply to
Malc

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@lightindigooverthere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes. Almost certainly.

Your average tractor doesn't give a toss about low-sulphur and the lubricity requirements of common-rail pumps. It'd run on cowshit if it had to.

Reply to
Adrian

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hehe, bitterness Dervy?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

No, it's the same as ordinary diesel, anybody that says different hasn't got a clue. The red is just a dye nothing more, nothing less, and doesn't produce more black smoke than normal diesel. Check a few web sites about marine diesels, you'll more info there.

Reply to
ThePunisher

I think a lot of modern your average tractors do have common rail injection. I suspect there's quite a lot of measures on board a modern tractor for making sure the shit doesn't get as far as the engine, but I bet they're more sensitive to crap fuel than you seem to be making out.

You don't see many proper farmers on Fergies and Fordsons these days m'lad!

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The message from Douglas Payne contains these words:

Nah, they're all in Lambourghinis.

Reply to
Guy King

If you'd care to do some research, you'll find that Lambourghini make tractors, or at least, they used to, and for much longer than they've been making pokey cars, methinks . Farmers are a less fickle clientelle.

Reply to
andypdq

running diesel motors on kerosine (28 secs heating oil) and adding a drop of oil to it to lube the injector pump etc. The thing that puts people off doing things illegal, is the chance of getting caught, not the penalty. When was the last time you were stopped and dipped for red diesel or Kerosine in your diesel car ?, I'll wager, never.

Reply to
andypdq

( snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Gosh, do they? I wonder if that could, perhaps, be WHY HE MENTIONED LAMBORGHINI?

Reply to
Adrian

The message from snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com contains these words:

Um - that's why I chose Lambourghini.

Reply to
Guy King

D'oh, thats what five tinnies does for you

Reply to
andypdq

I still reckon David Browns should be marketed at Aston Martins. Or at the very least, given model numbers like AM5, AM6, etc.

Don't bother posting to tell me they're no longer linked, I'm not _that_ interested.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Keep on perpetuating that myth.

I used to dip tanks in Lincolnshire and almost everybody we caught, well it was their first time, of course. That dispels the myth that people don't get caught.

Reply to
DervMan

Who was that you were working for then? C+E, or Police, or someone else?

Or was it just random research for your website? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan