'03 Cobra blows rear end!

A local guy with an '03 Cobra convertible blew his rear end up drag racing a couple weeks back. *snicker* Found this out from a friend who was there. Sorry I missed it. I guess I should feel pity for him but I don't. I've seen him around a few times, and my jealousy is only surpassed by the disgust I try desperately to choke back, as he stands outside his car, gazing at it...lovingly, from a short distance. I sure hope he had an understanding insurance carrier.

Is this a common problem? Doesn't the Cobra have a pretty beefy rear end?

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Michael Seeley

He blew the differential or snapped a half-shaft? The diffy is the tried and true Ford 8.8". Certainly it can happen but the half-shafts are the weak link. The shafts are beefier than the '99 Cobra, I'm not sure if they are upgraded from the '01, but they still don't like drag launches and slicks :).

Reply to
Dan Talso

Great time to go solid rear. woohoo

Helmut Roner

1988 GT
Reply to
HELMUT RONER

The 8.8 is pretty stout, but if he did something really stupid, like hit the nitrous button coming off the line on a sticky track with good slicks, he could blow it. There's also the possibility (somewhat remote, but a possibility) that the ring gear or some other critical part was defective and let go under load.

understanding

Reply to
Mike

They are. I've upgraded the halfshafts in my 01 to the 03 shafts because they are considerably stronger than the stock 01 shafts. Since the 03 is heavier and has more HP and torque, I figure the 03 halfshafts ought to be good to go on the 01 for quite some time. ;-)

Ken 01-Cobra

Reply to
Ken 01-Cobra

Anybody here ever converted a Fox body Mustang to the independent rear suspension? I've seen a few articles on the swap but wonder if it would be worth the expense.

My car is a 1989 5.0 LX hatch. I'm not interested in drag racing. I autocross and want to start racing at Portland Int'l. Speedway with the SCCA club.

Reply to
Blue Gator

Don't know but would be interested as well.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Only if he can convince the dealer that he wasn't drag racing. Your warranty is instantly voided the second they find out.

Reply to
Fao, Sean