03 GT Fog lights

Does anyone know if there is an up grade to the fog/driving lights? The ones that came with the car are useless. Any Idea would be great

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Have you actually tried them in heavy fog/snow? I heard a lot of folks say that about the ones on the Dakota. But after using them in a few heavy fog banks and heavy snow, I found them to be quite good. If you're trying to use them as driving lights - like most of the boneheads around here - then they are useless. And so would replacements, since they wouldn't be driving lights either.

.boB

97 H-D FXDWG - Turbocharged!! 01 Dakota Quad Sport, 5.9/Auto/4x4 83 GMC Jimmy (beater) 66 427SC Cobra Replica - Project 66 Mustang coupe - Daily Driver
Reply to
.boB

at 10 Nov 2003, Bill [ snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net] wrote in news:iDYrb.21189$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

The entire SN95 range seems to be useless as far as the fog lights go. They appear purely cosmetic. I recently put some on Pony and can barely see any difference in the amount of light in front of me..

I've seen them on eBay marketed as driving lights with a clear lens stated to be superior. I don't know if they are or not. I believe it's more the bulb than the lens anyway. I wonder if I could fabricate a metal or plastic cover for the fog lens opening where I could put two of those small round driving lights in next to eachother. Making a total of four. The question though is will this improve light emissions anything? or will I be throwing aout about $60 for 2 sets of this lights. Not even taking into account the boxes state 'off road use only'. :-)

I love my Mustang but whoever designed the headlights should be taken out and shot! I wish I could take the ones of my wife GMC truck. Now those give out some light!

Reply to
Paul

Piaa 1500 model driving lights fit the opening and work quite well. I would imagine any other decent brand of driving light of the same dimensions would also. The Piaa's fit into the stock holders with the addition of some spacers and long bolts. Can hardly tell them from the factory made-to-fit fogs unless you look closely.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

If properly aimed, you will likely see more light low and slightly to the sides of the road. The lights should be positioned in such a way as to shine below the fog level, making them useless as driving lights but helpful in foggy situations. We get a lot of fog here in the valley and they do seem to help in the right conditions. But more often than not, more lights are worse than less when in fog.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

at 11 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:6Z5sb.3201$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Ahhh. There is where my problem lies. I bought the lamps used and they came with the bolt on the bottom. No brackert to mount them in the bumper though. Haven't been able to find a set of those yet so I made some brackets out fo aluminum strip. They are decent but not rock solid of course as the are connected to the little screw holes to the left and right of the opening. ( I never had the covers that go on there either)

I agree to that. I'm getting tired of the poor light these standard headlights have and am trying to find a way to augment/improve it so I have a decen't view ahead. I don't want to fork out $$$$ for a HID conversion though.

Reply to
Paul

Did you know that you can obtain higher wattage bulbs? I believe the standard is 85/80 watt (high/low beam). You can get 100/80 and higher. However, be warned that they may not be legal for highway use in your area. Also, make sure the headlights are properly aimed. This will make a world of difference regardless of the wattage. I've run the 100/80 for a number of years with them aimed at the lower range of the specs. I've never been challenged by the police and oncoming drivers are not being blinded.

Reply to
Richard

at 11 Nov 2003, Richard [ snipped-for-privacy@shaw.canada] wrote in news:0Rfsb.371678$pl3.262501@pd7tw3no:

I'm aware of that. but from what I've heard it means I have to rewire or those will most likely fry the standard wiring. They are most likely also not street legal here in Fla. The problem is most of my night driving is not highway so I don't use th high beams that often because they blind oncoming traffic. Now with your higher spec bulbs, low beam is still 80 watts so not much improvement...

Reply to
Paul

I love the look of the Classic Design Concept's quad driving lights. They're a bit expensive, but I've heard they work great.

Greg

Those look nice but a little pricey for me !!