03 Gt Mufflers

I Just got a 03 Gt and was wondering what kind of exhaust system I should get to replace the stock system on it. I am looking for a better sound then it has now..

Any help? Thanks in advance Bill

Reply to
Bill

Go for a Bassani street thunder cat-back (the aluminized version is cheaper). They have decent tail pipes, but Magnaflow has some better looking tailpipes.

Reply to
RioRedGT

Because most people are wanting to get that bad-ass sound that just isn't there from the factory. And doing something like this doesn't leave you up a creek from a warranty perspective. Also, it's easy.

The stock catback isn't, but the catalytic h pipe is. Cams are expensive to purchase (springs are required too), expensive to have installed if not doing it yourself (much more difficult than a pushrod cam swap), and the timing can only be adjusted through the computer or with a timnig adjuster which adjusts base timing only.

Reply to
Keith

Not much seems easy on new cars, but after plunking down $20,000 or more a warranty is always nice.

I see, so basically there aint shit you do to make these things faster for $200 or less except a new exhaust. Kinda stinks, but that's what you get with a new car. For $200 I can do _lots_ of things to my old 289 or 302. I just recently bought a 4v aluminum intake adn holley carb for $150 second hand. Put on some new closed chamber 289 heads I got for $81 with only a couple thousand miles on them. Sure perked up the car, until the beat to hell bottom end croaked. Oh well... You live and learn, don't up the compression on a worn bottom end (I didn't know I was raising it until I already had the engine apart).

I just couldn't imagine buying a car where the first and possibly only upgrade I would get would be a new exhaust, and it would give me a thrill. I suppose you could also change the rear-end ratio on these new Mustangs too. That would definitely quicken them up and should pose no driveability issues with their overdrive transmissions. That's the only other thing I can think of to help performance. Perhaps a supercharger, but that could get expensive and amy not go well with the computer. Just thinking out loud...

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

This modability of newer cars is definitely less than that of the old ones, but that shouldn't be a surprise. Computers make life a little harder on modding, but at the same time look at what you're being given off the showroom floor. These cars make decent power, and the year-round driveability beats an old carb'd car any day.

There isn't much you can do with them to get alot of power. Gears help (just put 4.10s in mine and really woke it up), but most of the stuff is incremental. I little here and a little there all adds up. A powerful NA

2V makes about 300-320 rwhp, which equates to 360-370 hp at the crank. Nothing to laugh at considering it's all of 281 CI. Torque will end up in the 300-310 ft-lbs range. To get there, it takes ported heads, upgraded valvetrain, cams, longtube headers, a full exhaust system, alot of the little bolt-ons, and a good tune. Superchargers are the easier and more economical way to make power. They're pricey, but it would cost you more to go the NA route and make 320 rwhp than to bolt on a blower and make 350+ rwhp.
Reply to
Keith

They've also taken the stock block and heads of a 2V (mind you, the heads were worked on a bit I believe) and ran well down into single-digit quarters with them.... and didn't break anything. Try that on your 302 with E7TE heads.... the block will crack first.

They're definately harder to mod, but I agree. The new Cobras are pushing

390hp (supercharged) out of 281 cubes, and even before that, they were pushing 320hp (N/A) out of the same 281 cubes. On top of that, they offer the driveability not quite available in carbureted cars, plus pass stringent emissions testing so they're better for the environment. Strap a blower to a 2V car or, in the case of a new Cobra, a built up 4V car, and all hell breaks loose. They say it's easy to get 500RWHP out of those cars and still be streetable and reliable.

JS

Reply to
JS