1.7 Roller Rocker Q

I have an '89 5.0 5-speed and a set of real '93 Cobra 1.7 roller rockers. As I understand it, there are two ways to install these ... with the shims under them and without.

Any advice on which is the RIGHT way for my engine?

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
Dave Wick

Depends on your engine, each is a little different. You won't know until you start to install them. Go to the Comp Cams or Crane Cams web site, and look through the FAQ/Technical section. You'll find detailed instructions on how to install hydraulic cam rocker arms. The difference is that instead of turning the bolt to set pre-load, you'll need to add or remove shims. A lot more time consuming with pedestal mounts, but not overly difficult. And it's essential that you get this right of you want things to work correctly.

Reply to
.boB

Whether you need to install shims depends on the tolerance of each pedestal and valve combination. I had to use shims on most of my rockers. Just read up on the installation instructions. It isn't too difficult.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Dave, We put a set of 1.7s on a stock '87/auto project coupe a while back...no seat of the pants difference. An Explorer GT40, Y303 heads and FoMoCo shortys and the car started to come alive. A 2500 stall speed converter, 4.10s and a wide ratio conversion had the car running

13.40s. While the project was to see what a SD will take with mostly spare parts on hand, it shows that you've got to come up with a system.

FWIW, Five sets of heads on four engines haven't required shims for correct geometry

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx