1965 Mustang won't start

Just installed a new Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and Edelbrock 500 cfm carb with electronic choke and can't get it started for the life of me! When I put the distributor back in it was right at the mark of where I removed it, couldn't get it started. So I pulled it again and set the engine to TDC a dozen times just to make sure it wasn't 180* off. Pulled #1 plug and made sure it was on the up stroke by sticking a pencil in and moving crankshaft. I've even tried moving the distributor in small increments.

I have a Pertronix ignition and Flame Thrower coil. Just replaced the distributor cap and rotor. Battery, plug wires, and plugs are only a couple months old. The only other change I made was replacing the engine wiring harness since the old one was a bit brittle.

When I try to start it, it sounds like its trying to start but won't fire. I've also tried unhooking the choke and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What am I missing? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Reply to
adamfryor

From what you say, the problem must be in the carb. Did you dribble some gas down it to see if the thing would start? If it did (or will) start that way, the float may be off, or the thing clogged if used

Reply to
vince garcia

Hey Vince, are you still playing UO? I havn't looked at the group in a good while.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Yeah, though I been working a lot and haven't had a whole lot of time to play. I've been getting frustrated with the crazy over abundance of spawn. I recalled in a pretty far distance away from a shrine, and there's a army of enhanced monsters all waiting to munch me in 3 seconds.

I really think the game is not all that fun anymore, and ebay's forbidding stuff from UO to be sold there is really making me mad since I was hoping to sell my castle

Reply to
vince garcia

Having gone through a similar problem last year, I can tell you that my problem was that one of the intake gaskets had slid down where it was blocking some of the intake ports on the heads and caused a vacuum leak. Start with the most obvious/cheapest solution. Have you tried shorting one of the plug boots to the head. If there is not spark then it isn`t firing. (My dear old Dad used to tell me that it had to be either spark or gas, so check both. If it's spark, I would try replacing the Pertronix with points. I have found that these Ignitor modules are extremely sensitive and if you happened to short it out (perhaps while re-installing your engine harness), it could be fried yet show no outward signs of failure.

Good luck, Richard '70 Mustang convertible '65 GT350 clone

Reply to
lxixboss

I really appreciate the advice. I finally got it started. Turns out I was 180* off when I put the distributor back in.

Reply to
adamfryor

Really, did they say why or is it all "virtual" property?

Reply to
WindsorFox

It just happened overnight from my perspective, but i guess it's a 'virtual property' issue.

But they also won't let you sell accounts either!

So this is an opportunity for some entrepeneur to fill in the gap with a site where we can sell our UO holdings

Reply to
vince garcia

Reply to
nospam

Online computer game--"ultima online"

Reply to
vince garcia

Ultima Online. Vince and I used to both read and post to a Usenet group for discussion of the game, the game has waned a lot and the Usenet group waned even more.

Reply to
WindsorFox