1966 Mustang Convertable, 289 Ponie Series with Factory Air

I know there were only a few of these made and i have one. Does anyone know what the factory colors were for this model. I am totally restoring and want to go with a pearl white exterior (including dash and steering column)with a tan top and tan interior. Is this a taboo if it isn't a "factory color" and will that affect my "finished value"? Joe

Reply to
Jboyd4

The problem with any customization at resale time is that you've got to find a buyer with the same tastes as you. My take is that it won't be difficult to find someone who likes the pearl paint and tan interior, but it might be with respect to a glossy white pearl dash.

If this were a K code car, I would recommend restoring it to its original colors, or selling it and buying a C or A code. That's because a K code vert with AC is at the top of the food chain for '66's, and can actually be worth more than the costs of restoration. A C or A code on the other hand, are not in that league. So the market value hit you take when you customize is not as severe.

On the third hand, it's your car, do what you want. If you intend to keep it for 5 or more years, who cares about market value? The market will catch up with you eventually, regardless of what you do.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Wasn't it "wimbledon white" in 1966? Not sure where to tell if any Mustangs with your specific codes were painted in that colour though.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz
180 Out - Thanks for your input. How do I Know if it is a "K" code???
Reply to
Jboyd4

It's in your VIN. Check your title or registration or on the data tag riveted to the driver's door. (The problem with the data tag is that doors get dented and replaced.) It's also on the inner fenders, but hidden.

Anyway, it's 11 digits. The first digit will be a 6, indicating 1966 model year. The second will be one of three letters, indicating the assembly plant. (F = Dearborn, R = San Jose, T = Metuchen N.J.) The third and fourth are numbers indicating body style, which for a convertible will be 08.

The 5th digit is the engine code. K = 289 ci 271 hp 4-bbl solid cam. A = 289 ci 225 hp 4-bbl, hydraulic cam. C = 289 ci 200 hp 2-bbl. T = six cylinder. It's this engine code that makes a '66 V8 a "K code," an "A code," or a "C code."

The last six digits are the car's serial number. Each plant had its own sequence, starting with 100001.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

If you Google to Tom Schmidt's Mustang Page, you will find links to the information you seek, including visual displays of the colors, and on one link they have Mustangs photographed with the correct colors. What colors did your vin code say it was originally? If you are restoring to original, I believe you will find the correct color is Wimbledon White not pearl white. You can find a listing of the codes in several of the Mustang parts catalogs, and there are a couple of decoder links on the aforementioned web page. Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpgFeb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/Engine_rebuild_006.jpg
Reply to
Spike

Question: Many years ago I had a Mustang convertible, must have been a 65 or

  1. It had a Cobra on the brake pedal and in the center of the steering wheel. Was a 289, 2 barrel, three speed on the floor. The exhausts exited under the bumper, and had lovers on them. It was red with a white top and white interior. What was it?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Sounds like a Shelby, but you never know unless you can check the vin. Even many years ago people were getting the parts to make their cars look like what they weren't. Strange that it has a 2V if it was a Shelby, unless it was retro fitted. I had a 72 Mustang with something like a 428 or 429 and FMX according to the vin. Still had the FMX but under the hood was a 302 2V. One fender indicated that it had been replaced. So, was the front totaled out and when they rebuilt it did they save money by dropping in the 302? Or did they blow the motor and replace it with a 302 to save a few bucks? Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpgFeb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/Engine_rebuild_006.jpg
Reply to
Spike

Lovers????!!! ... I'm guessing Louvers!!

Would be interesting???

Reply to
Shayne

If you want it to be white, the "factory" white for '66 was "Wimbledon White". If it wasn't originally that color, it will affect the value to a collector, but if you're going to be driving it rather than keeping it as a trailer queen you might as well just paint it the color you want.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

The paint color is something you will have to decide. My 65 is painted Dodge Viper red and the dash, and steerint column is cadillad pearl white. The orginial white just didnt go witht he door panels. I know its not original and may detract from the value, but I dont enter shows, just drive and enjoy it. If i ever sell it, it will need paint again and then the buyer can decide.

Reply to
Ray or Bobbi Adams