1967 Mustang Disc Brakes

Hi all,

A good friend of mine just bought a 1967 Mustang. The front brakes are disc. He and I are wondering did disc brakes come from the factory back in

1967? Do you think someone changed them out to disc brakes over the years? They look pretty old on the car and they do have some Ford markings on them. What do you all think? Thanks for reading my post.

Big Duke

Reply to
Big Duke

depends on what they look like. It's pretty common to use maverick/granada front disc brakes on early mustangs. Post a picture and someone should be able to identify them.

Reply to
Brent

I'm not sure about Mustangs, but front disc brakes were an option as early as '63 or '64 on some cars.

Reply to
MR M.R.

According to

piston per caliper front disc brakes were an option or as part of the GT Equipment Group.

Reply to
MR M.R.

Yes I know. That's why a picture would tell me what he's working with.

40+ years later there could be anything on the front of that car.
Reply to
Brent

True! If the calipers are not four piston, they definitely are *not* original.

Reply to
MR M.R.

What does the brake pedal look like ? Disc brake optioned Fords from the '60s would have been clearly marked on the pedal.

If the calipers are fixed 4 piston, and the pedal indicates so, they are possibly factory. A disc swap would likely be to the '68 and later floating single piston style.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones

What does the brake pedal look like ? Disc brake optioned Fords from the '60s would have been clearly marked on the pedal.

If the calipers are fixed 4 piston, and the pedal indicates so, they are possibly factory. A disc swap would likely be to the '68 and later floating single piston style.

rd

He tells me the brake pedal does have the Disc Brake marking on it. I'm trying to get him to take a picture of the brake unit so I can post it to the group. Duke

Reply to
Big Duke

a day late and a dollar short but, my 65 fastback came right off the line in San Jose with disc brakes (manual in this case). Over the years the second owner scavenged the parts for his daughters car, so when it was being rebuild, an aftermarket disc brake system was installed, and I added power assist to that.

Reply to
veegerNOSPAM