1990 T-bird 3.8

I frequently read this group and feel that someone out there could help with a problem I have with a 1990 T-bird. The car has the infamous 3.8, non supercharged v6 and is overheating but does not have the telltale signs of blown head gaskets. There's no water/coolant in the oil nor does it smoke or run rough, it simply overheats. Just after I bought the car the water pump started leaking and I had to replace it. I don't recall if the car overheated prior to that or not. I've replaced the thermostat and even removed the stat. It's almost as though the pump is not circulating the water properly and I believe there is only pressure on the top rad hose and not water. When the car is running with the radiator cap off coolant is coming out as though it is being pushed from the bottom as opposed to being sucked into the motor from the bottom. Also when the vent is loosened coolant will escape but again it doesn't appear to be running though the top hose. Could this be a sign of air lock, incorrect water pump(wrong rotation) or the ever dreaded blown head gaskets? Would it be worth my time to replace the pump again, bypass the heater core in case it's blocked and causing air lock or simply set the damn thing on fire for the Fourth of July?

Thanks, Jay

I own a black 1989 LX 5.0 hatchback, so I'm thinkin' I'm ok with postin' about a T-bird.

Reply to
Jay Orcutt