'98 GT Convert Tire Replacement Question

Hi all, I have a 1998 4.6L GT Convertible (all stock) with about 50K miles on it. Currently using low profile Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus tires size 245/45Z R17. The tires have been making a helluva racket and not too smooth of a ride since I put the first 5K on them. The car sits sometimes for 2 weeks to a month without being moved or driven. The local dealer says that the tires are "chopped" from sitting around more than being driven.

My questions are many and looking for some constructive feedback. I need new tires - so what do I buy? Can't go through the same noisy crapp for another

25,000 miles and these things weren't cheap to start with. Do I need higher profile tires and if so, do I need new rims also? Or am I just screwed if I don't drive it enough?

I like the car so I'm willing to put new rims on with the new tires if that solves the problem. Thoughts? Experiences to share? Let's hear 'em. Thanks in advance.

You can email me if you prefer at snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Nuke
17x8 are your rims dimensions I believe. You can fit much wider tires on there... but if you don't want road noise, I'd go with a little bit higher profile tire... something with a bit taller of a sidewall maybe. Low profile tires generally make noise... part of being sticky. You don't hafta spend a LOT of money to get what you want... definitely don't need new rims.. but if you're that wealthy where you'd just buy new rims.. go ahead & gimmie your old ones....

-Mike

98 Mustang GT
Reply to
<memset
** My questions are many and looking for some constructive feedback. I need new ** tires - so what do I buy? Can't go through the same noisy crapp for another ** 25,000 miles and these things weren't cheap to start with. Do I need higher ** profile tires and if so, do I need new rims also? Or am I just screwed if I ** don't drive it enough?

Some tires make more noise than others, naturally. Others develop a 'flat spot' after sitting for a while in one spot. If it really bothers you, find tires that don't do this. The Potenza RE-730's I use (stock size -

245/45-17's) don't develop flat-spot noise; I usually leave it parked for a month at a time in one spot. I'm sure that others are just as good.

With 245/45-17's that are properly inflated, this *should not* be a problem. You might try inflating to 32 psi. and see if that helps. Older, nylon-bias ply tires had this kind problem really bad, but modern-day tires don't normally develop flat-spot noise after just a couple of weeks, if they're inflated properly.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1997 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

I recommend NITTO 555's. The best I have ever used. I currently have Kuhmos, they are not too bad for the price but I liked the Nittos much better cause they seemed stickier.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top 245/45Z | R17. The tires have been making a helluva racket and not too smooth of a | ride since I put the first 5K on them. The car sits sometimes for 2 weeks to | a month without being moved or driven. The local dealer says that the tires | are "chopped" from sitting around more than being driven. | | My questions are many and looking for some constructive feedback. I need new | tires - so what do I buy? Can't go through the same noisy crapp for another | 25,000 miles and these things weren't cheap to start with. Do I need higher | profile tires and if so, do I need new rims also? Or am I just screwed if I | don't drive it enough? | | I like the car so I'm willing to put new rims on with the new tires if that | solves the problem. Thoughts? Experiences to share? Let's hear 'em. Thanks | in advance. | | You can email me if you prefer at snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com | | | |
Reply to
SVTKate