1995 Mustang GT 5.0 Dies

I have a 95 GT Mustang 5.0 Coupe, and the problem I am having is it dies on me spuratically, more often rescently than it used to. What it does is I seem to be able to drive it as long as I want to, however if I stop somewhere and shut it down for say 5-15 minutes as soon as I try and drive it again within usually 2-5 minutes it dies, and will not restart for anywhere from 30 seconds too 5 minutes. When it dies all electronics keep working within the car, like radio and headlights and such, however the engine just dies, completely does not sputter, tach drops too 0. and when it does this sometimes only does it one time, or can do it multiple times, think it was 8 in a row the other night. It can die when at a stop light or between shifting gears while rolling usually. The engine is completely stock except for a K&N Filter. A friend of mine suggested that it might be a TFI module but if I am not mistaken the 95 does not have a distrubuter mounted TFI. Not too mention the fact that its $140 for one and thats quite a bit of money for a guess. Even the local ford dealers can not tell or will not tell me what the problem could be, they say it is a spuratic electrical componant problem that they would not be able to find unless it where occuring when I brought it in. My best guess is that whatever is failing has to be heat related as it only acts up after I have stopped and the engine sits for a few minutes, but what is failing is where I need help.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Also could be the fuel filter..

if it hasn't been changed in a while it would be a good place to start anyway.

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

If it's ignition related, then one possibility would be the Hall sensor inside the distributor. It's a semiconductor device providing crankshaft position and rpms to the ECM, which in turn controls ignition timimg by signaling the TFI (ignition control module). For starters, verify spark or no spark condition when failure occurs (hopefully in your driveway). At least you'll know whether or not it's an ignition problem. If no spark, the next question would be primary or secondary ignition circuit and go from there...

OTOH, it helps knowing how to debug, along with proper equipment, when multiple components that make up a system are suspect, such as the ignition system, where for example, the TFI and distributor Hall sensor are involved. These are higher ticket items that need proper diagnosing and little guess work. In the case of the Hall sensor, the whole distributor is usually swapped out. Due to the nature of the problem, you may want to consider finding a reputable service center to diagnose/repair and be done with it. I state this only because being stalled at an intersection during rush hour wouldn't be my favorite waste of time...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Carb??

Reply to
Richard

Just where is the "carb" on a 95 FUEL INJECTED Stang???

Reply to
Steve Marshall

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brian) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Brian:

I just had a similar problem. It is hard to hear the fuel pump in these cars so I thought it was dead and replaced it. Fuel filter too. Then I did spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, ignition control module, coil, oil, battery, thermostat (okay just felt like this one, 180 deg one), and still wasn't fixed. By then the only thing left was the hall effect sensor also called the stator. Had that one replaced at the dealer for $212 and problem was solved. Mind you, everything except the ignition control module, probably needed replaced anyways.

Check some archives, there are other problems it could be too.

-Arjay

Reply to
Arjay

I have an 86 CV that just started doing the same thing,I replaced the TFI but no change aside from running a little better. one thing I noticed is after dying out I picked up the hood and was looking at this and that when I heard the sound the relays make when the key is in the run position,but the key was already in run.. could this be related to the hall sensor? I'm thinking bad connections or ground somewhere

Reply to
Luddite

Luddite wrote in news:bjg1j4$adj$ snipped-for-privacy@e250.ripco.com:

My 94 GT was doing something similar. It was the Hall Effect Sensor a.k.a Stator. Don't know if this is your problem, but it seems to be common. Mine had 101,000 on the odom.

-Arjay

Reply to
Arjay

Luddite opined in news:bjg1j4$adj$ snipped-for-privacy@e250.ripco.com:

So maybe the relay sound was REALLY the injectors? Hmmmmmm?

Easy to see if that's it... hook up a timing light. Or listen for the fuel pump?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

its starting to look and quack like it,can a bad hall sensor croak a new tfi module in under 100 miles? searching around I learned the TFI module has control over over those relays,pulling the connector off it made the same sounds..

Reply to
Luddite

Luddite opined

Did you lube the TFI? BAll dist pickup shouldnt cause TFI to fail.

WHICH relays?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I lubed it and shoved it in place,then removed it and dabbed the bare spots on the distributor. its an after market TFI,so its that or the wiring,or the coil only 8000 miles on the coil and the car mileage is 73k

hard to say but it sounds the all that come on in the start position when everything works,the fuel pump would always engage

Reply to
Luddite