1996 MUSTANG GT: What Went Wrong?

I have a 1996 Mustang GT with the NEW, RE-DESIGNED intake manifold.

This new intake manifold has been on the car for about

2 years with no problems at all.

But now I keep getting the trouble code saying that there is a misfire on the number 8 spark plug. (The plug next to the driver's side firewall.)

I pull the spark plug boot and immediately notice that it is wet with coolant.

The car runs VERY rough now, because of the wet spark plug.

At this point, what are my possible repair options? How can I fix what appears to be a coolant leak?

I recently moved to a much colder climate. Could this be a factor?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS....

Reply to
EADGBE

First thing to do would be find and fix the coolant leak, if it is coolant and not just a leak from around the back of the hood or from melting ice. Maybe you could trace the water trail back from where it looks like it's coming from to get to the plug. Does that make sense- coolant will leave an oil-like trace when it dries. Use a good dielectric grease on the boot- that may help keep the water from shorting out that plug.

SC Tom

DADGBD Neil Young tuning- Cinnamon Girl and numerous other songs.

Reply to
SC Tom

better than 90% chance you have a bad intake gasket. Small chance you have a frost plug seaping

Reply to
clare

If I recall correctly, the intake has no gaskets; there are O-rings around every passage opening. The O-rings are seated in little grooves that are molded into the intake.

Reply to
EADGBE

The heater hot water hose connects to the fire wall close by. Those hoses do get old and will leak. Check that out. It is likely your problem. Thats what happened on my T-bird.

Reply to
Ricky Forrest

problem. Thats what happened on my T-bird My 96 GT did the same thing. The 4.6 motor plastic intake manifold WILL crack, on the very back of the manifold and spew out all the coolant. I had my to do it right after the warranty expired. They reimbursed me it was over 400.00 at the time. My brother's Ford did the same thing a few weeks ago. I have heard of several others. There may have been a recall. There should have been but I haven't heard of one, at least being in effect as of now.

Reply to
nada