Barrett-Jackson auto auction

Difficult to relate to, but fun to watch in a nostalgic way. Seller brings car out of a climate controlled facility and loads it into a covered trailer. Car is pushed onto the stage, auctioned off for 100K+. Car is pushed off the stage and loaded into the new owner's covered trailer, where it will be moved to the new owner's climate controlled facility. If I had a gazillion dollars, I would drive one of these cars in the rain and not worry about water spots on the chassis or anywhere else on the vehicle.

I don't have a gazillion dollars, so I'll just keep on pluggin. Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

If I had a gazillion, I'd have a private road coarse in a dry climate somewhere, have staff vacuum it off every day so I could take my Duesies, Packards and whatevers out for workouts.

I don't......I live with Ohio's nasty climate, bad roads and worse drivers.......so the '06 GT just turned 1500 miles and has still never been wet.......and it got to 40 degrees yesterday so I was out washing the salt off the Five-Hundred - after I got the hose thawed-out.

Am reminded of a news item 20+ years ago when Lambo introduced some new supercar that had the fastest top speed in the world and would be available in extremely limited numbers.......and the first one was bought by some gazillionaire who had a private island in the caribbean.....and no roads!

OMG!!!!!!!!! I just hit Spellcheck.....and it doesn't know "Packard"......it used to......what is the world coming to?!?!?!?!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

In Minnesota there's an annual "Back to the 50's" car event held at the State Fair grounds in St. Paul. Some cars are trailered in, but many are driven, complete with small custom trailers with styling and paint to match the car. I used to work nearby, and would watch the parade of cars on Snelling Ave. There was a motel where many of the car owners stayed, and I would take a lunch break there. One fellow had a beautiful '32 Ford sedan (modified, of course), and he spent a lot of time polishing all the chrome plated nuts on the undercarriage of the car. Another fellow had a car that he actually drove frequently. It wasn't a show car, but it was a nice T-bucket roadster. I'm not sure about the engine, but I did recognize the GMC 671 blower. I remember the sweet sound when he started that sucker. There are a lot of cars that are stored in garages, and the owners actually drive them (very carefully) on the street on nice days in the summer.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.