CV joint/axle time for my '95 Legacy, need some advice!

I have a 95 Legacy FWD Auto. The left front boot is torn and the joint is clicking.

1st of all the local Subie dealer wants over $300 to fix this, which I think is outrageous. An independent station I've used for other work gave me an informal quote of about $200 but that was after warning that CV joints for some cars are more expensive and she didn't know if that applied for my car or not.

Doing a little research I have found remanufactured axles that include both inner & outer joints for about $70 (+ core charge). I am assuming that this is what everyone does since the joint by itself is about the same or even more money to fix (and I think I read that you can't fix a CV joint by itself on Subies).

My basic question is, how doable is this job for a weekend mechanic like myself? Any specialized tools needed? I imagine that doing the entire axle in one piece is probably easier than just the CV joint by itself; however, I've gotten into trouble with supposedly easy jobs that suddenly get more difficult when unexpected things happen. Any tips and/or advice is appreciated, TIA!

Rob Aries

Reply to
Rob Aries

Hi,

If you're a moderately accomplished shade-tree'r, you should be able to do the job yourself. Might take some imagination depending on the tools you have available. With the proper puller, the axle should press out of the hub fairly easily (inner DOJ--double output joint, for all intents a CV joint--is held on a splined shaft w/ a roll pin. Drive the pin out from the smaller hole side, and reinstall from the larger. Be sure to grease the splines. If it doesn't go easily, rotate the joint 180 deg and try again. Some of the parts are tapered. Unhook the inner end first, hook it back up last--you need some wiggle room.)

If you don't have the proper puller, you can drive the stub axle out w/ a block of hardwood and a decent sized hammer. Some advocate replacing wheel bearings at this time regardless of removal method--if you have to whack the axle I'd definitely recommend replacement of the bearings.

Replacement: go to Subaru and get one of their "remanufactured" axles. It will cost about twice the price of the cheapies from the local auto parts store. Trust me, it's money well spent. Last time I bought aftermarket, I went thru three axles, and STILL had to go to Subaru to get the right one. And the build quality is worlds apart.

Reinstallation is fun--you'll have to devise a way to use the original axle nut and various goodies as spacers to get the axle pulled thru the hub far enough to actually use the proper tapered washer and new axle nut to finish the job. Make sure you torque the axle nut to spec (145 ft lbs on my '90) or you'll have noise and possible damage to the splines and hub. Be sure to use a new split cotter pin to be safe.

Figure it's a nice day's work first time you do it. After you learn the tricks, it's pretty quick. Subaru quoted me a price that, subtracting what the parts guy charged me for the axle, translated into only about one hour's labor, so you see what you can do w/ experience and the right tools!

Best of luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Rick pretty much covered the topic. I changed a front axle on my 95 last summer. Fairly easy. Axle came free of the hub with little effort. The top strut bolt is slotted. Make sure you mark the position of the strut wrt the hub to avoid an alignment problem. Replacing the bearing may be a sound idea but it's a bear to replace. Has to pressed off and on. Please use the correct size pin punch to remove the roll pin. jam something in the hole that is the wrong size or worse, breaks off, and you now have major problems.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks guys for the tips. It sounds like this job is not technically difficult but there are definitely opportunities to screw up. The weather just turned nasty cold here in the Northeast US so that's another consideration (my garage is storage space). It's looking like I will pony up the bucks. I will try and ensure that a Subaru axle is used, thanks for that tip Rick.

Rob Aries

Reply to
Rob Aries