2003 Mach 1 Mustang Shaker Hood

Hi Mustang Fans! I just got my Mach 1 and I am having a blast with it. One thing I am curious is how the Shaker Hood works on the new engines. I found one site which was fairly informative, but it really explained the old engines and how it worked there. I am wondering if anyone knows a good website that gives diagrams and explainations on the 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood?

Reply to
guitarguy9

I don't know of any web sites, but the shaker only routes cool air down to the normal air filter location. It does not connect into the intake at any other location and provides little, if any, ram air effect. It is cool to look at, and I had seriously considered a Mach 1 before I bought the Cobra. With some custom mounts, the shaker will fit on the Cobra motor above the supercharger and connect to the factory air box. Here's a Mach 1 with an '03 Cobra motor and shaker...

Mike King

Thanks Mike for the reply. I love the Mach 1 and yes the Cobra is a great car as well! You can't go wrong with either one.

Reply to
guitarguy9

"So what's the scoop on the scoop? The Mach 1 was designed in Ford'sLiving Legends Studio in Dearborn, Michigan, where all other Mustangs, plusthe Thunderbird and the GT40, are designed. The Living Legends Studio wascreated in July of 2000 to bring together the creativity of designersinvolved in related iconic cars of the present and future. Living Legends isFord's medium for engaging enthusiasts of the Ford brand in a historical andmemorable experience. The Mach 1 features exterior enhancements thatvisually and emotionally connect it to the 1969 Mach 1 fastback. In keeping with performance Mustang heritage, the scoop is not only appearance enhancing, but functional. The "ram air" scoop, fitted through an opening in the hood, channels fresh air directly to the intake runners increasing the breathing and optimizing intake turbulence for improved power and torque.

The scoop operates on similar principals to that of its forebear, but because the 1969 Mach 1 was a carbureted engine, it was a much simpler task to mount the scoop atop the carburetor in place of a traditional air cleaner.

The "shaker scoop" on the 2003 Mach 1 is mounted atop the intake manifold and directs air through a secondary filter box to the intake. The intake also pulls cool air from the front grille to ensure free breathing. "At first, our colleagues from other teams thought we were crazy," says Hoag. "After all, modern engines are so well tuned and balanced, there really is no 'shake,' so people asked why we would bother with a 'shaker' hood. But Team Mustang is full of enthusiasts who know what it's like to pull a Mach 1 up next to a Chevelle SS with cowl induction and show off."

The scoop and the center powerdome hood are finished in low-gloss black."

Reply to
{kiwiboy}

This was the original idea for the scoop, but the design was simplified. The scoop is ducted into the same filter housing as all the other model Mustangs. The Mach also still has the same open snorkel into the fender as the other Mustang models, so any ram-air effect is lost at that point.

Reply to
Mike King

Well, at least it does function as something other than a drag increaser.

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127