What is up with the 2005 Mustang GT

I test drove one yesterday, and liked it. I left to eat lunch with the wife and decide on whether I was going to purchase it or not. Truth be known, I was leaning towards not getting it because they would not budge off of the sticker price. Anyhow, after a 2 hour lunch/discussion with the Mrs. we decided to go and get it. I arrive only to find that the dealer had already sold the car to someone who paid OVER sticker for it. Sure, I could have left him a deposit to hold the car, but I wanted to make sure everything was okay with the Mrs.

What gives? I know these cars are hot, but I was having a hard time coming to terms with paying sticker, only to be beat out by someone else who paid OVER sticker. I really don't want a Mustang GT that bad. Maybe I am wrong, but I am thinking when those 2006 models start to show up, the 2005 price may come down a "little" off of that dang sticker.

OTOH, I really liked the ride of the 2005 GT. I wanted to get a Mustang GT every since I was 15 years old, then when I started making good money in the 90s, I decided against one due to the harsh ride. Boy, does that new

2005 GT ever ride so much better than any of the 90s models I have test driven. The only other stang that I would have considered was the 2003 - 2004 Mach 1, but again, the ride kept me away.

Now the question is, should I wait for the 2006 models if I want to get one of the 2005 Mustang GTs, or should I just have the dealer order me a 2006 to ensure I get what I want in the car? What would you in the group do?

Thanks,

Chris B.

Reply to
Chris

I'd put in a order for the 2006 model.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Why would you want to pay sticker or over on a car that's going to depreciate a years time in a month or so? Wait and order a 2006 if you want one that bad. Better yet, order it now. It is a nice ride.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

Reply to
Spike

Very true. In 1985, Dodge and Plymouth dealers were placing a "additional dealer markup" of $3,500 on the hot Caravan's and Voyagers introduced that year. That was basically a 30% cost above sticker. And they didn't deal either since someone else would pay it if you didn't.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

LOL, now that explains the ad for GAP insurance that I saw on the salesman's desk.

I am thinking I can wait. The CPA in me just can't bear the thought of paying sticker, especially because the firm I am at audits auto dealers, and I know what they actually pay for those dang cars (when they do pay for them)! The auto business is a very dirty business. Lastly, I NEVER paid sticker for a new car, and I don't plan on starting now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I now realize that I did the right thing by not buying on impulse.

Chris B.

Reply to
Chris

I would wait and buy the 2006 model! When you buy the first year model of any vehicle remember you are buying what we engineers call the prototype! The reported problems have a chance to be corrected in the following model year!

Reply to
OldGuy

I would by a used one with low miles.......

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

You are thinking of the first couple of years of new GM vehicles. Those are the cars that you're the guinea pig working out some of the bugs for them.

Reply to
Scott

As the owner of a 95 Windstar van I don't agree that GM is the only one using customers as guinea pigs! After Ford replaced the transmission at 36K and the engine at 60K it has run without problems and is now at 190K. Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

If you think engineering on cars is bad... I spent 5.5 years working at the Air Force Flight Test Center, with several of the major aircraft corporations, and NASA.

Countless hours are spent by engineers and millions of dollars, and then they roll out the test bed, take it up in the air, and try out some of the systems. Ever see a bomber whose bomb bay doors were designed to catch the air, rather than cut through it? Or one that every time it flew, it blew it's tire landing? or something as simple as the upright struts on the top of a 747 to attach a shuttlecraft that were all 7" to short... know what that does to the top of a 747? Ever see a crew making a film on crash survival in a Huey... where they actually crashed? The list goes on and on.

No way can Ford be the >I would wait and buy the 2006 model! When you buy the first year model of

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

Kind of like when I am forced to roll out new software at work. The first version always makes me feel like we are the "beta testers". Last Monday, I spent over six hours on the telephone with some yahoos in India trying to resolve a Windows 2003 Server and Veritas Backup exec problem. The end result was several unpublished hot fixes.

As for the Mustang GT, I would have hoped that Ford actually got something right this time. I was under the impression that Ford's engineers had put a lot of time and effort into this redesign. I had numerous problems with the "redesigned" 1996 Thunderbird LX, and almost swore off buying another Ford product again. Then, I had a 2000 F-150, and didn't have a single problem with it at all, thus restoring my faith in Ford. I guess the old cliche applies to cars, trucks, and just about everything else, anyone can get a bad one that will spoil the whole dang bunch.

I have now made up my mind that I am going to wait. No car is worth paying sticker for, and I will be damned if I pay OVER sticker for a car! Also, I have some home improvement projects that I plan to perform with my downpayment funds since the dealers are playing the "bidding" war.

Thanks to all who replied.

Chris B.

Reply to
Chris

I have been buying a new Mustang GT convertible every two years, normally at $200 over invoice. I had to pay $800 over invoice for the 2005. I always order what I want. Why settle for what is on the lot? By ordering I get the color and equipment I want, no more not less. Every 2005 GT convertible owner I speak to had to pay over MSRP to get their cars. I ordered my car in August of

2004 but Ford did not start building convertibles until February of 2005. When my car arrive at the dealership in March Fore had raised the base price by $600.

Demand for the GT and the convertible far exceed the demand that Ford expected, based on 2004 demand. Ford increased production by 80,000 to meet demand for 2005 GTs and convertibles but dealers still can not get as many as they can sell. I saw a 2005 GT convertible go through a Ford auction in May at around MSRP, to a Ford dealer, the car is so hot.

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Who ever sells a vehicle as soon as they sign the papers and drive it off the lot? Certainly not in the case of the Mustang GT convertible. I was offered $35,000 doe my 2005. That is more than I paid for it in June, three months before. The 2005 Mustang GT has an MSRP that is three to four thousand lower than than the less desirable V6 convertibles of both Chrysler and the Solar, when similarly equipped.

I owned a 1999, 2001, and 2003 GT convertibles on moved into 2001 and 2003 for around six or seven thousand total drive home price in two years. I had to pay $8,000 to get the 2005 however. $2,000 of which was in increased MSRP over the 2003

mike hunt

Spike wrote:

Reply to
BenDover