Plans for mustang

Hey guys i have a few questions. I was wondering what some majors mods would be for the 03 gt. I already have 3.73 gears, shorty shifty, k&n filter, and an exhuast on order. With all that im going to do the suspension get some tires and such and whatever else. I really want some big power adders without going NOS or F/I. I sent an email to modmax about their .525 .540 camshafts...they said i could get an increase of about

15-25...and for 700 bucks that isnt worth it. I wanted to know about the stock intake manifolds and heads. Are they any good to be ported for noticeable horsepower? Also who makes alot of heads and cams for this application....havent seen a whole lot of them:). I really want this car in the 13's or 12s and money is no problem...
Reply to
joe

There are quite a few companies that do headwork. A friend of mine had all of his work done by T.E.A.(total engine airflow). The numbers aren't great but they are pretty respectable(they flow 225 on the intake and 224 on the exhaust). Other companies such as fox lake and Steen may do a better job but you will pay a little more. His cams were made by crower and I think the lift is .590/.601. These parts will be going into a stroker motor though, for a stock shortblock, you may want to go with milder cams. And if you change cams, make sure you don't get regrinds and make sure your springs can handle it. With ported heads, a matching cam, and maybe a bullit intake, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to gain about 50 rwhp or more and make it to the low low 13's. If you want to go all out you can do like my friend is doing and stroke it as well. Some pics of my friends parts can be seen here:

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

With drag radials alone you should now be into the mid 13's with just the gears. Some chassis stiffening and the proper suspension tune should yield you even better times, probably down into the lower 13's.

Weight is your enemy. If you're building a mostly drag-oriented car, start removing things that aren't necessary. Sound deadener, interior parts that you don't find overly useful, things like that. You can probably remove enough weight to make up for the added weight of things like subframe connectors and such.

Full length headers and the rest of the exhuast system should help wake the car up some. The 4.6L PI heads ('99-up) are strong heads out of the box... some porting and cam work will definately make you take notice. I read a blurb in a MM&FF that someone was running low 9's with the stock 4.6 block and heads... though obviously everything else was different and the heads were worked. Still hard if not impossible to do that with a stock 302 (block is too weak) and E7TE heads (quite restrictive comparatively speaking)

Big numbers are easily produced in these cars with the addition of a supercharger, but you're trying to stay N/A.

Sean Hyland Motorsports has been doing the 4.6 since their inception in the two factory Ford project '93 LX notchbacks. He has cams, ported heads, and entire 4.6L engines (SOHC + DOHC, strokers, forged internals, etc) if money is no option. Throw in his SOHC bad boy and be done with it. You can even drop the car off at his place and he'll do the work if you have deep, deep pockets. Do a websearch for his place if you wish.

JS

Reply to
JS

The 4.6 block is indeed alot stronger than a 302 block. Supposedly it can handle about 900 hp and i would believe it after looking at one. They basically have 6 bolt mains. The crank, rods and pistons are also pretty good. The weakest link is the bolts and the rings. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

you might want to think about a supercharger for it :)

Reply to
vott