3.8 Engine Swap

Hi, my name is Alek Pike and I have a 3.8L 1994 5-speed Mustang convertible. Before I bought the car, the car apparently blew a head gasket. I was not informed of this at the auction house where I bought it, and I have invested a fair amount of money in the Stang, almost to the point of not getting it back. Is it possible for the 4.2 V6 to fit in the engine bay, without any mods? Or even better, could a 4.6L V8 or a 5.0 fit in there also? Would the V8 require any mods or replacing anything? Thanks for your time.

Reply to
xero2989

No, you'd have to replace a LOT. In fact you have to be careful even if you use a later year 3.8. They are a good engine once you get past the head gasket.

Pretty sure the experienced bidders in there knew about the 3.8 problem. A lesson for the rest.. Do research before you go to an auction. Google is a blessing.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

at 22 Jun 2006, [ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I had a '95 in which I swapped the engine. Without replacing and hacking a while lot of stuff, you can stick up to a 98 3.8L in there. That 98 actually gives you 10 more HP. In 99 Ford changed some things, including a fuel return line which would mean you'd have to add that in. Doable but a lot of work and costly unless you can do it yourself.

Due to the idler pulley desintegrating 6 months ago, I had another blown head gasket. This time I had the heads milled, a valve job done and new lifters installed. Costing me a little less, but resulting in an engine that will probably last another 100K.

Facing a similar issue, I'd go for rebuilding rather than replacing it with another used engine. Unless something major is wrong with it or it has much miles.

Yes, you can stick a V8 in there. but you're gonna need a donor V8 car as you'll have to change the drive train and everything. Including the computer. Upgrading the brakes to cope with the added V8 power would also not be a bad idea. On the whole, you'd be better/cheaper off buying a V8 Mustang.

Reply to
Paul