50 Fastest Muscle Cars Showdown -- an Update

For the past year,

has been trying to assemble as many cars as possible from the 1984 "50 Fastest Muscle Cars" list. It's set for Wednesday and Thursday June 28 and June 29 at Indianapolis Raceway Park. Spike TV's "MuscleCar show" is covering it.

Here's the "50 Fastest" list they're working off of:

I posted about this on May 8. Here's the latest, from the page
, updated June 22: "Welcome to the Buickhorsepower.com website! Here is our tentative schedule. . . .

"June 28-- Gates open at 8:30 for spectators and the 50 Fastest challenge will begin at 10:00 and end at noon. Then, Buick Horsepower takes over. . . . These tentative hours can be tweaked depending on the number of musclecars that show up for 50 Fastest. We have quite a few so far that say they are coming including some big block Chevy cars, a

440-6 pak car, a Hemicuda, even a Studebaker with the R3 supercharged engine! And, we have a Buick GSX and a 70 Stage 1 too. If we get 300 cars that participate in this 50 Fastest challenge, then we'll have to re-write the schedule! Remember that these cars too must be NHRA legal! Make sure you have things like battery hold-downs, radiator overflow jugs, not too much rubber fuel line, etc.

"June 29 -- Gates again open at 8:30 for spectators and again we will run the 50 Fastest starting at 10:00 and this part of the program will run until noon. Then, again, Buick Horsepower takes over. . . . Same deal as yesterday if we get slammed with 50 Fastest challengers!

  • * * "Also, the 50 Fastest is generating so much interest that you don't want to miss this part of the event! We have crews coming from all over to cover this and you may very well see your car in print or on TV if you bring your stock musclecar and see what it will run! Again, we should mention that if your musclecar is not on the 50 Fastest chart, you are still welcome to bring it and see how it stacks up. Then, maybe see it on TV in a few months!"

Also in that May 8 thread I posted this explanation of the "50 Fastest" list that is the basis for this event:

This 50 Fastest list originally appeared in Car Review magazine in

1984, and was culled entirely from magazine road tests from "in the day. So calling it the "50 Fastest" without an asterisk explaining its origins is misleading. It should really be called "The 50 Fastest Road Test Quarter Mile Times that One Ragazine Writer Could Get His Hands On in 1984."

Just so the late model lovers didn't get their panties in a bunch, I also posted this link to the all-time 50-fastest:

-- way, way topheavy withlate models. You have to go halfway down the list, to the mid-13's,before you start to see the oldies out in force.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

In fact, I just took a closer look at this link and realized that it's way more than a *50* fastest list. In fact, the cutoff for the 50 fastest is the '03 Audi RS6 with a 12.63 @ 108.64. In 51st place is the '07 Shelby Mustang GT500 with a 12.7 @ 116 (which obviously would surpass the Audi if it too had 4 wheel drive). So only the exotic factory drag specials from the '60's still remain in the 50 fastest. (And don't let that 12.7 second Cobra fool you. Notice it's a "2001

289 FIA" Cobra with a 302 ci engine. WTF?)

Anyway, think of it, 50 models that run a 12.7 or better off the showroom floor.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1151010838.785933.217100 @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

Fastest"

Gotta love the Subie and Evo with their respective numbers. And the Jeep GC SRT8 is no slouch either. Saw a few of them on the road this week. Real neat except for the Boxster exhaust.

Joe

I didn't even see the Jeep on that list. 13.2 @ 104. That's a good hook. 4 wheel drive and an automatic: just point and shoot (making sure first that Junior is strapped into his car seat).

Check it out: word search the page for "hemi" and, after the '68 factory S/S Darts and Cudas with 10.5's @ 130, and the '70 426 ci Challenger and Cuda with 13.1's @ 107, *then* comes the 378 ci '05 300C SRT8 with a 13.2 @ 108 and the '06 Grand Cherokee with a 13.2 @ 104.

109), an *'06* Charger (13.5 @ 106), a '68 Charger, a '67 GTX, and a '68 RR (13.5 @ 105), a '68 Charger (13.5 @ 101), a '71 Super Bee (13.7 @ 104), a '65 Coronet R/T and a '67 Satellite (13.8 @ 104), a '69 Charger Daytona (13.9 @ 101), and a '68 GTX 'vert (14.0 @ 97).

I typed up the entire compilation because we're talking muscle car royalty here. Hemi Road Runners, Super Bees, '67 GTX's, Charger Daytonas. Wow. It's fun just to say the names. But of the top five quickest Mopar hemis of all time -- other than the couple hundred factory S/S cars of '68 and '69 -- we're looking at the '70 Challenger and Cuda, the 300C, the *JEEP*(!!!), and the '69 Road Runner. In 7th place is the '06 Charger. And notice the trap speed of the porky 300C (108) and the even porkier Jeep (104), compared to the '69 Road Runner's 108 (or for that matter the '68 GTX vert's 97). It looks like the modern 378 ci "hemi" has at least 30 more hp than the 426 of yore. (In the low 100's trap speed range, one hp is equal to about 10 lbs. So if vehicle "A" is 300 lbs heavier than vehicle "B," it will need 30 more hp to run the same trap speed.)

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1151078644.480241.299310 @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

It's cool that DC is successfully competing with Porsche.

And we're only in the low 13s.

That's a damn nice group of cars.

The 6.1 Hemi is a sweet motor. It'll be interesting to see how the GT500's blown 5.4 compares.

Joe