5.0 next modificaiton

I have a 1989 GT covert with 125,000 miles. I am getting the exhaust completed with BBK full lenghts, matching h-pipe and 2 1/2 cat backs. I am thinkng about the next step, but I am no millionare. Subframe connectors are in the near future. I am looking for opinions on the next intake mod. Should I get a 76mm mass air meter or a 65mm throttle body/EGR next. I will eventually be getting both, so I'm just looking for some thoughts. I am also considering getting an edelbrock intake fairly soon. Unfortuately heads are going to have to wait as I can't swing the cost yet. What kind of horsepower can be expected with stock heads and cam, with the intake and exhaust upgraded (mass air to intake and headers to tail pipes)? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Reply to
Gordon McLeer

The set-up is almost identical to mine, but I think tailpipes are for prettyboy wussies. That's just my opinion, though. :o)

NO. Subframe connectors ARE NEXT. Rule of thumb when it comes to hotrodding ANY kind of car. BUILD THE CAR AROUND THE MOTOR, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND or else you will start breaking stuff needlessly.

Given you car's current state I wouldn't bother with with anything more than a Cobra or the GT-40 Explorer intakes.

The MAF sensor should always be the same size, if not slightly bigger than, the throttle body. Going too big with a MAF sensor on a nearly stock enigine with give you idling problems. A 70 to 73mm Pro-M should work just fine for you with a 65mm TB.

Well, then you just wait. By doing the intake before heads you are causing yourself more unnecessary work with barely noticeable results.

Not much and not worth the cost without the heads first. I nstalled a Comp Cams .512 lift cam in my '88 GT and there was no difference in power or in my ¼ track times. STOCK HEADS CHOKE ALL POTENTIAL.

I just gave you my thoughts. Be patient. Build the car around the motor first. You won't be sorry and you won't be breaking stuff resulting in a lot of down time vs. being able to romp on the car all you want.

Helmut Roner Beat Up 1988 Mustang GT

Reply to
HELMUT RONER

I agree with Helmut, do the subframe connectors first. Get welded connectors, don't bother with just bolt-on's. After those, do gears. For a cost similar to that of a new meter and throttle body/egr, you'll feel a much bigger difference. Go with something in the 3.55 - 4.10 range depending on which trans you have and how you drive the car.

If it's a 5 spd, get a real shifter. The factory shifter is junk compared to what is available in the aftermarket.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

After the Sub-frame connectors, I suggest buying a Ported Lower intake from TMoss.

His Ported Lower intakes are around $100 and "supposedly" flow just as well as the more expensive brands.

Here's the link to his website.....

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu